Weren't we able at one time to reset DVD region code by reformatting?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jng, Nov 12, 2007.

1. jng macrumors 65816

jng

So the title says it all: Weren't we able at one time to reset DVD region code by reformatting?

I'm living in Germany again and so I have both Region 1 and 2 DVDs and last time with my old 12" powerbook, I could have sworn that I just reformatted the machine and the counter reset.

Now after searching, I find that it's built into the drive's firmware? When did this change happen?

2. sndcj1 macrumors member

My understanding is that it was always built into the drive firmware as part of the specification. Now you might be able to find a region free firmware hack for the drive, bypassing all your issues, but I didn't think that system software ever had anything to do with it. You got you 5 changes... and that was it.

3. jng thread starter macrumors 65816

jng

Really? I thought it was recent (within a few years). My previous powerbook was from '03.

Yeah, I blew through 5 chagnes swapping DVDs in a matter of weeks. :( Wish I had known that it really wasn't changeable. But I'm not going to hack my drive as from what I've read, it'll void my warranty, which goes until 2009...