mrat93

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
In case anybody cares and is willing to believe me...

I sent this to the admin of ifoapplestore.com:

I saw a link to this earlier on Apple's start page. However, they have taken it down since then. They showed the various items they would be giving away, odds of winning, and number of those items being given away.. (I am doing this from memory, so I might not be completely accurate.) $10 iTunes gift card: Odds 1:14. iPod Shuffle: Odds 1:24. iPod Touch: Odds 1:100. iMac: 1:1000. MacBook (Pro?): 1:1000. I think there might have been a Mac Mini there too, but I am not sure. There was no mention of AppleTV iPhone, iPod Classic or Nano, or MacPro. Storage in iPod touch was not mentioned, nor were specs of computers.

Comment

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
I'm going to be there, but the earliest I can get there is 6. How long do the giveaways last? And I know that's when it opens, but I've never been to an Apple Store opening, so don't know how long the lines are -- how long does it take until you're actually IN the store?

Comment

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
West 14th Street Store Opening Tonight

https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple's West 14th Street Store in New York will have its grand opening tonight at 6 pm EST.

"We are thrilled to open our third and largest store in Manhattan on West 14th Street," said Ron Johnson, Apple's senior vice president of Retail. "We think New Yorkers will love this stunning new location and the incredibly talented team we've assembled to make the Apple Store West 14th Street a place where people can shop, learn and truly be inspired."

The store is Apple’s first three-story store with two floors dedicated to products and a third dedicated to services, including a 46-foot Genius Bar and specially designed areas for workshops and personal training.

West14th_300.jpg

ifoAppleStore is on location, and reports on rumors that Apple will be giving out free laptops to the first 10 people in line (there were 62 in line as of their post).

With the West 14th Street store, there are now 3 New York City stores, including the glass-cube 5th Avenue store and the original SoHo store.

Article Link

Comment

esquared

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2005
Free laptops my *ss! This is Apple we're talking about, T-shirts and 10% (maybe) off is it.

Comment

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
Wow! The giveaway prizes are sweet. I would have never expected them to give away laptops. I thought even iPods would be a stretch. Good luck to those in line!

Comment

Arcady

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2002
Lexington, KY
Every site seems to be saying this is the first Apple store with a third story. While this is technically true, the store in Ginza (Japan) has four floors (including a third.)

Comment

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
I'm telling you now....I'm WINNING one of those MacBooks. I seriously have to -- the screen on my last one broke, and I haven't been able to replace it.
So one of those MacBooks is MINE. Just letting people know... :D

(Ok, I know it's in my dreams...just humor me)

Comment

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
I wish I could be there this time! :( Unfortunately I'm stuck at school for the weekend. I attended the Fifth Avenue store's grand opening and had such a great time. I even got to see Steve Jobs a couple times that day.

Please post plenty of photos and have a great time! :D

Comment

jasonklee

Suspended
Dec 7, 2007
man, i really wanna go, but no one to go with...

but free stuff is always tempting...

Comment

scoobydoo99

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2003
ummmm....

you people know you can order stuff online, right? you don't have to wait in line just to get INTO a store. i mean, if i wait in a line, there better be like a ride at the end of it.

Comment

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
That staircase is a thing of beauty! Reminds me of the G4 Cube. Why doesn't Apple design beautiful computers anymore? Minimalism is... blah.

And c'mon, Apple! Minneapolis/St.Paul deserves at least ONE Flagship store. All we have is four severely cramped mall stores. Really. Nicollet Mall is yours for the taking! It has classic architechture, and up-scale retail and dinning, and is right down the road from the IDS. There is no better location for a Flagship store until you hit Chicago.

-Clive

Comment

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
That staircase is a thing of beauty! Reminds me of the G4 Cube. Why doesn't Apple design beautiful computers anymore? Minimalism is... blah.

And c'mon, Apple! Minneapolis/St.Paul deserves at least ONE Flagship store. All we have is four severely cramped mall stores. Really. Nicollet Mall is yours for the taking! It has classic architechture, and up-scale retail and dinning, and is right down the road from the IDS. There is no better location for a Flagship store until you hit Chicago.

-Clive

I believe you're ranting to the wrong crowd... ;)

Comment

evilyankeefan

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2007
Yeah, those billboard signs are killer. Guess I'll have to make a trip to NYC sometime soon. Still have to visit the 5th Ave. store too.

Forgive me for being NYC skyline challenged, but would a full moon ever come into play in view with those billboards? That would be a wicked picture if it did.

Comment

Sabon

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2003
Seattle, WA
They need to make the Apple stores in/near Seattle bigger

They need to make the Apple stores in/near Seattle bigger. Right now they are way too small.

Comment

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
I believe you're ranting to the wrong crowd... ;)

Regarding Apple's boringly-designed computers, or that there should be a Flagship in Minneapolis?

If in regards to the staircase vs. Apple's design, it's a totally valid opinion and is shared among some of the Mac community. So there. :D

-Clive

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.