western digital 1tb mybook home problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kevblank, Jan 1, 2010.

1. kevblank macrumors newbie

i have a macbook pro running snow leopard. i have a western digital 1tb my book home edition. i have used it many times and had no problems. i have not used it in the last two weeks and when i tried to plug it in today, it looked okay at the beginning, lights were blinking and the drive was spinning but it didn't mount. it wasn't recognized and so i unplugged to try again. now...when it is plugged in to the wall, the light blinks about once per second but the drive doesn't turn on or spin. when i plug it via firewire into my computer the light turns off and the drive continues to stay off. as far as I know, the drive was not dropped or damaged or removed improperly (with the possible exception of what I just did). because it is not on, it will not show up in disk utility either. i really need the information on this, any ideas?

2. ehmjay macrumors member

I've never had this happen with a Mybook but did have something similar happen with a Lacie of mine. In my case it was a bum powersupply. Once i got that replaced everything was just fine.

however generally a blinking light is a bad sign, usually one of drive failure so you might want to contact Western Digital support.

3. kevblank thread starter macrumors newbie

i dont know if i have warranty with wd because i didn't buy it direct. also i have opened it. another site has told me that it could be the power board or something of that sort, so i have taken it apart but i dont really know what is what in here. it has been recommended that i buy a new caddy for the hd since (that other guy) guessed that my drive was fine but my power was bad. should i try to do that? what is a good one? and how the *$&# do i do any of this stuff?