Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vlark

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2014
I was doing some digging around for back up software and discovered this link:

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=117&sid=111&lang=en

It's a free download of Western Digital's Anywhere Backup for Mac, version 2.5.125.

Don't be fooled by the system requirements; it works on 10.4 & 10.5 PPC!

INCORRECT-->If you install it, it will ask for a email address to register. Go ahead and do it; the server it sends it to is dead. If you want to be safe, use a throw-away address or make one up.<--INCORRECT!!!

(Whoops! It is live; it just took a bit for the registration confirmations to show up in my mailbox. My mistake!)

If you let it check for updates, it will download a 10MB update which will bring it to version 2.5.217. Watch your installer log and you can find the temp directory where it stores the file and save the .pkg for future use.

This is backup software based on Memeo, which used to ship with both Seagate and WD external drives. The funny thing is, it mis-identified my recognized my Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex as a Western Digital drive!

The interface is kind of like the old Apple Backup tool, with a list of quickpicks and such to choose from to backup. But the power is that it allows you backup to any drive of your choosing, including USB flash drives. You can even upload photos directly to Flickr or Shutterfly.

Nice piece of software, for free.

Last edited:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I was doing some digging around for back up software and discovered this link:

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=117&sid=111&lang=en

It's a free download of Western Digital's Anywhere Backup for Mac, version 2.5.125.

Don't be fooled by the system requirements; it works on 10.4 & 10.5 PPC!

INCORRECT-->If you install it, it will ask for a email address to register. Go ahead and do it; the server it sends it to is dead. If you want to be safe, use a throw-away address or make one up.<--INCORRECT!!!

(Whoops! It is live; it just took a bit for the registration confirmations to show up in my mailbox. My mistake!)

If you let it check for updates, it will download a 10MB update which will bring it to version 2.5.217. Watch your installer log and you can find the temp directory where it stores the file and save the .pkg for future use.

This is backup software based on Memeo, which used to ship with both Seagate and WD external drives. The funny thing is, it mis-identified my recognized my Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex as a Western Digital drive!

The interface is kind of like the old Apple Backup tool, with a list of quickpicks and such to choose from to backup. But the power is that it allows you backup to any drive of your choosing, including USB flash drives. You can even upload photos directly to Flickr or Shutterfly.

Nice piece of software, for free.

Thank you for posting! Does it appear to be resource heavy?

vlark

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2014
I don't know. There is a background service which has to run to keep track of file differences. You can set-up background times, etc. It's kind of like Time Machine in that regard, I guess. Also, if you are backing up over USB 2.0, expect a long wait for the first backup; it took about 3 hours to back up a 30GB home folder over USB the first run last night. We'll see how it goes for future backups.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I don't know. There is a background service which has to run to keep track of file differences. You can set-up background times, etc. It's kind of like Time Machine in that regard, I guess. Also, if you are backing up over USB 2.0, expect a long wait for the first backup; it took about 3 hours to back up a 30GB home folder over USB the first run last night. We'll see how it goes for future backups.

Do you like this as much as Time Machine?

CYB3RBYTE

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2014
Midwest
This sounds cool, considering I just bought a WD My Passport for Mac. But I wonder if it is as integrated and reliable as Time Machine is? Does it have a really awful interface or something like finder? I have never used any type of bloatware that comes with Hard Drives, so is this any different?

vlark

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2014
It's more along the lines of the older Apple Backup app that worked with MobileMe in terms of how you can select what to backup and when.

I do think this is a bit better than time machine, as it is an "opt-in" rather than an "opt-out". With Time Machine, you have to tell it NOT to backup stuff while this app asks you what to include instead. To me, this more user friendly, as it doesn't assume I'm some n00b who doesn't know what is and what isn't important on my drives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.