Western Digital Caviar Black and Software RAID

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by NoManIsland, Jan 19, 2011.

1. NoManIsland macrumors regular

I know that WD crippled their non-RE HDDs (no TLER) so that they won't work in a hardware RAID array, but would the same be true of a software RAID? I'm hoping to set up a 4x2TB Caviar Black RAID 10 using Disk Utility, but I want to be sure I won't have drives dropping out of the array.

2. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I believe Disk Utility only supports RAID 0 or RAID 1; You'll need a RAID card if you want to use RAID 1+0. Nanofrog should opine.

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

Caviar Blacks or other consumer grade disks will work in this case, as the recovery is still handled by the OS (internal SATA ports = ICH or an eSATA card won't matter; PM support won't change this either).

It's when the array is on a proper RAID card that this changes, as the card takes over control of recovery. The methodologies are different, and the timings have to take that into account (thus consumer disks are set to 0,0 and enterprise disks to 7,0; read, write respectively, values are in seconds).

Actually, a hardware RAID card wouldn't be needed for 10, as OS X is capable of 0/1/10 and JBOD (concatenation/spanning). Past that, you do need a card (5/6/50/60 for example).

4. Zerozal, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011

Zerozal macrumors 6502

For what it's worth, I'm using 2 1TB WD Cavair Blacks in a software RAID 0. Running for almost 2 years with no issues.

5. NoManIsland thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys, just needed a confirmation before purchasing :)

6. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Yes, it works just fine. You can setup Caviar Blacks of the same size as software RAID-0 in Apple Disk Utility and it works great. I just did this with two 1TB disks on my old 2.93GHz Mac Pro Quad that I sold on eBay.

7. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Ah, I stand corrected, oh wise frog:)