Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2016
01000011 01000001
Billions of dollars later and the juggernaut of the Hard Disk sector is officially moving into the Solid State arena with the acquisition of Sandisk. This merger will enable WDC to capitalize on SanDisk's 3D NAND technology but interestingly enough SanDisk has never produced 3D NAND in volume. This will either solidify or pose significant integration issues moving forward for WDC.

http://www.wdc.com/en/company/pressroom/releases/?release=113105ba-cb37-49f6-8fab-de43c41d7334

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Western Digital has been in the SSD space for years, mostly through its enterprise subsidiary HGST. The company has acquired several SSD companies in the past few years (e.g. Virident and sTec) and some of its enterprise SSDs have been co-developed with Intel.

The SanDisk acquisition merely expands WD's reach in the SSD market with more consumer-oriented products and most importantly WD gets access to SanDisk NAND fabs. SanDisk has decades of experience in manufacturing NAND, and 3D NAND is a derivative of the existing NAND technology. Nobody, except Samsung, has experience in 3D NAND manufacturing at the moment, so the lack of volume production knowhow isn't really a problem at this point.

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2016
01000011 01000001
Western Digital has been in the SSD space for years, mostly through its enterprise subsidiary HGST. The company has acquired several SSD companies in the past few years (e.g. Virident and sTec) and some of its enterprise SSDs have been co-developed with Intel.

The SanDisk acquisition merely expands WD's reach in the SSD market with more consumer-oriented products and most importantly WD gets access to SanDisk NAND fabs. SanDisk has decades of experience in manufacturing NAND, and 3D NAND is a derivative of the existing NAND technology. Nobody, except Samsung, has experience in 3D NAND manufacturing at the moment, so the lack of volume production knowhow isn't really a problem at this point.

Wow I didn't know WDC was already making moves in the SSD Enterprise arena as early as 2013.
  • Skyera
  • sTec
  • Virident
  • Velobit
I've been really happy with all my NAND products from SanDisk so far so I'm excited to see what advancements this will bring for the consumer market.
[doublepost=1463233007][/doublepost]
WD and SanDisk control 14% and 13% market share in SSD space and with this acquisition they will take over roughly 25% of the market. -LinuxVeda

:eek: Right out of the gate this puts them ahead of Samsung and Intel in enterprise marketshare, which are at 20% and 21% respectively.

Mind = Blown that I didn't read anything about this prior.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.