Western Digital Drive Slowing Macbook Pro down

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by floobie, Jan 11, 2013.

1. floobie macrumors member

Wasn't really sure what section to put this in. Apologies if I got it wrong.

I've been noticing something lately. I have a late 2011 15" Macbook Pro. I have a 2.0TB Western Digital My Book USB external hooked up to it through a USB hub (alongside a Razer mouse, a second external drive which is usually powered off, and a midi controller) whenever it's at my desk at home for Time Machine backups. It handles this just fine. But, I'm getting the feeling that this drive just slows the computer right down. If I power on the computer with the drive plugged in, it takes about 3 times as long for the Apple logo to appear, because the computer is waiting for this Western Digital external drive to spin up. I also notice this behaviour while using the computer... I'll be surfing or something, and suddenly everything stops responding for a few seconds, and then I hear the Western Digital drive spin up. In the latter case, I assume it's getting ready for a backup, which is fine. But, having a drive that takes eons to spin up and drags the entire system down with it is becoming increasingly annoying.

Are some external drives just better suited to backup duty than others? It seems like the issue is the firmware in the drive itself, as my power settings tell it never to put the hard drives to sleep (when not running off the battery). If this is really the case, and the My Book is really just not optimized for regular backup duty... can you recommend an external that would work better?

2. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo