Western Digital External Drive Issues with Early 2008 Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by law guy, Mar 29, 2008.

1. law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

Hello All -

I've got two WD 500 GB My Book Pro drives and a 1 TB My Book Studio Edition Drive.

The issues that I'm having are that when they're all on the FW 800 bus, they'll all mount initially, but one might disappear after a day or two and then I have to restart (unplug) the drive to get it to mount again. So I put one on the FW 400 bus and left the other two on the 800 - same issue - one may disappear from time-to-time.

Also - when they're plugged in, more often than not the machine will stall out trying to either start-up or shut down. When I disconnect the drives, the machine then proceeds to either start-up or shut down.

Have folks experienced similar issues? Are there some set of Mac OS 10.5 drivers that I should be aware of?

The drives are all formatted for the Apple journaled format.

Thanks for sharing any solutions that you may have come across.

2. thetoness macrumors member

Update the firmware

Go to the WD support site and update the firmware, this should help you. I had the same problem with the 800 FW and the update fixed it. Hope this helps.

3. law guy thread starter macrumors 6502a

law guy

Thanks. These drives are all so new I didn't expect all of that firmware upgrade material out there. I went to the WD site and found upgrades for all three.

The drives mount MUCH more quickly, and start-up works just fine. I haven't tried shut-down yet.

A few notes for folks - the My Book Pros must be upgraded connected via USB. The Studio edition must be upgraded connected by firewire.
    Only one drive can be updated at a time.

I hope this thread helps others.

4. phudson macrumors newbie

Any suggestions where - I cannot find the upgrade on the site -thanks