Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Davidsilence

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2005
Brighton UK
Hi My WD elements 2TB drive has failed and cannot get it to show up on desktop i have an exact same 1TB drive and i have just swapped the usb controller over, still no joy. Before i go down the crazily priced data recovery route, could buying one of these help http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bipra-SATA-Adapter-Power-Drive/dp/B001A5SK56/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
or should i not waste my money as the other drive works with the faulty drives usb and power adapter thanks for looking.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Hi My WD elements 2TB drive has failed and cannot get it to show up on desktop i have an exact same 1TB drive and i have just swapped the usb controller over, still no joy. Before i go down the crazily priced data recovery route, could buying one of these help http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bipra-SATA-Adapter-Power-Drive/dp/B001A5SK56/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
or should i not waste my money as the other drive works with the faulty drives usb and power adapter thanks for looking.

I actually use a PC DOS-based program called Spinrite as a maintenance and data recovery utility on all my HDD's. You have to have an IBM-PC in order to use it though. You take the HDD out of the enclosure and connect it to the IBM-PC and run the program. Below is my old MBP HDD in a Dell PC with Spinrite working on it.

Independent review of Spinrite (not me)

IMG_2003.JPG

IMG_2004.JPG

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Hi My WD elements 2TB drive has failed and cannot get it to show up on desktop i have an exact same 1TB drive and i have just swapped the usb controller over, still no joy. Before i go down the crazily priced data recovery route...
In many cases, a cheap (temporary) and empty USB 2.0/3.0 enclosure with an external power supply helps. In many cases the original enclosure or power supply is defective, not the HDD/SSD.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
In many cases, a cheap (temporary) and empty USB 2.0/3.0 enclosure with an external power supply helps. In many cases the original enclosure or power supply is defective, not the HDD/SSD.

As long as it isn't one of the external drives that uses a 2 disk volume, this is correct. Firewire bridges burn out all the time. There's a cheesy joke there, but I'm tired today.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Get a USB3/SATA docking station:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ords=usb3+sata+dock&rh=i:aps,k:usb3+sata+dock
(Many items shown, they all work the same, just pick one you like that's cheap and available in the UK)

Take the problem drive out of the WD enclosure, put it into the dock, connect to the Mac.

What happens next?
Does the drive spin up?
Does it mount, or give an error?
If it gives an error, what does it say?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.