Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rgomes

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Hi!

I was looking for an external hard drive to backup my photos/music collection. I was hoping to stick with Western Digital in 1TB capacity.

Do I have to buy one of their hard drives that says specifically on the box "For MAC" or can I buy any Western Digital Hard Drive.

My concern is that it won't work with Time Machine.

My thinking is that it is only formatted for Apple. You can buy any external drive and format it for use on a mac?

Am I correct?:confused:

Mac-Michael

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2010
That's right, the only difference is the partition format. (and probably the color of the enclosure)

rgomes

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
if moving alot of files firewire will smoke usb.

I don't think I'll be moving files around a lot....

Just for backup purposes. I'm a photographer so I'm dealing with .raw photo files of 15MB each usually...

Makes me wonder if it is worth the extra $$$ (to get the studio edition)

I can almost buy the regular version in the 2TB!!!

farmermac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2009
Iowa

Just for backup purposes. I'm a photographer so I'm dealing with .raw photo files of 15MB each usually...

If you are dealing with lots of those 15mb pictures, I'd shoot for the 2tb version

undftd

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2009
Can't go wrong with a Western Digital drive, and any normal one will do just need to format it. Do keep in mind that if you plan on transferring large files you may want to consider the WD MyBook Studio which has firewire 800 for a faster transfer. I recently got a WD MyBook Elite for $174CAD with tax which imo is a steal, but I'm considering returning it and get a MyBook Studio as I'm always transferring large video files on there.

Cave Man

macrumors 604

The other, and more important problem for you, is that USB consumes cpu cycles more than FW does, thus if your TM starts while you're editing images you'll lose cpu cycles to your hard drive that you wouldn't lose with a FW drive.

I'm no fan of canned drives, and no fan of WD drives in particular. You should consider buying yourself an external enclosure, such as this Macally, and put in a Samsung eco drive, which runs cooler and is more energy efficient and won't be any slower than a 7200 rpm drive in an external enclosure.

The problem with canned drives is that when they fail you have to send the entire drive/enclosure in, even if the drive is fine and the controller has failed (which occurs more often in my experience). If you open it, you void the warranty. If you buy a separate enclosure and hard drive and a problem occurs, you can disassemble it to isolate the problem. If it's the enclosure's controller, then you don't lose any of your data on the hard drive - you just get the enclosure repaired or replaced..

Buy as much as you can.

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
Forget Wd

based on my experience, i wouldn't get one again. Bought one to store all my music. The thing died after a year. i lost all my music. If you get any HD to store your music, make sure you also back them up on DVD's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.