Western Digital External HD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MacM4ODA, Mar 22, 2014.

1. MacM4ODA macrumors regular

does anyone here use the above mentioned Ext.HD with their iMac ?

if YES.., how do i find and recall what is stored there ? i lost my instructions so i am lost in a tangle of confusion.

help !!

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

3. MacM4ODA thread starter macrumors regular

4. Cell-666 macrumors 6502

I have two My Books in my Mac Mini for backing up and storage and they are fine. WD are rock solid, I've never had a failure with four external units I've had over the year, or maybe seven or eight internal I've had in my PC's

5. Beards macrumors 6502

Beards

A lot of Western Digital owners had issues with their drives after upgrading to Mavericks.
    WD updated their Smartware software last Novenmber to WD SmartWare Version 1.3.6 for Mac 10.5-10.9 in reaction to the problem.

6. MacM4ODA thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for your replies folks, BUT ! what need to know is how do you access the data on that WD HD ?

right now i am looking at a page that shows two columns, on the left is an image of my computer, under that is the first column with 499.8 GB total, at the bottom it shows 470.5 GB free, to the left of that column is:
    Files

Size

above the right column is a WD HD image, at the top of that column is, 499.3 GB total, under the bottom it reads 436.4GB free, to the right of that column it reads:
    Data Backed Up
    Files

Size

as far as Mavrick, i do not have it installed, for some reason it will not install, i have had FIVE (5) tech's help me install.., it just won't.

so here we are, HOW DO I ACCESS THE DATA ON THE WD EXT. HD ?

7. BinaryTim macrumors member

Screenshot?

Would it be possible for you to take a screenshot of this window you are describing so we have a better idea of what you are looking at? To me, this doesn't sound like you are in the Finder window, unless you have a configuration I'm not familiar with.

Here is a tutorial for getting screenshots, you could just take a "partial" shot of just the window you are looking at/describing, then post it here and we may be able to provide better assistance.

http://www.take-a-screenshot.org

Thanks!

8. freelancing macrumors regular

freelancing

I've got three of these babies. Did you password protect your drives?

9. MacM4ODA thread starter macrumors regular

on the site you posted, i go there, read and read again i tried the first two options, and nothing, then i dropped down to, "I don’t like keyboard shortcuts. How can I take a screenshot using Preview?", i click on the blue preview, it sent me to a wikipedia page, nothing.., then i notice a "PREVIEW" next to the apple icon, i have no such thing in my Safari which is Version 5.1.10 (6534.59.10)

i am lost !

10. hfg, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014

hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Try this:

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/screencapturemac/ht/macscreenshot.htm

To capture a specific application window, press Command-Shift-4, then press the Spacebar. The cursor will change to a camera, and you can move it around the screen. As you move the cursor over an application window, the window will be highlighted. The entire window does not need to be visible for you to capture it. When you have the cursor over a window you want to capture, just click the mouse button and the screen shot will be saved as a PNG file on your desktop. (The file is saved as PDF in Mac OS 10.3 and earlier.)

Add Control to the two shortcuts above to place the screen shot on the clipboard instead of saving it to the desktop.

11. Mac-Mac-McAfee, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014

Mac-Mac-McAfee macrumors member

First: I may be mistaken but to me the information you posted above looks like it's from the WD Smartware application, you cannot access your data from the WD Smartware software, this only shows when and what you have backed up. You need to open a new window in the Finder and look for the WD hard drive under devices or on your desktop to access your drive just as you would your internal drive.

Second: The information you posted above shows that ZERO files are backed up to your WD hard drive, so either you haven't backed anything up or your drive got wiped out.

Third: You don't need to install WD Smartware to use your hard drive. Plug it in and go. Only other thing I could think to tell you is go to Applications>Utilities>Disk Utilities and see if your drive shows up. If not it's toasted.

12. MacM4ODA thread starter macrumors regular

this is what mine looks like..., pretty near actual size.

[​IMG]
    in the photo above it shows 4 lights lit, mine has only the bottom light lit.

when i click on my D.T. WD Smartware icon, a screen pops up with my iMac on the left side below it is a box with "System, Documents, Pictures, etc., below that box is, 469.8 free.

over to the right there is a WD icon with the same size box inside it is: "62.9 Additional Files", bllow that box is 436.3 GB Free.

that is about all i got for now.

13. MacM4ODA thread starter macrumors regular

Hi again folks, i am still trying to find out EXACTLY what is stored in this Ext. HD. i keep coming up with the stored data numbers and no actual info, such as photos, which i want to see/access and edit plus other "allegedly" auto stored data.

i hope i have explained this well enough for your help.

thank you.

14. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

15. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Until you are willing to post screen shots that show to us what you are seeing, you probably won't receive much help...

Be aware that the WD drive probably has some kind of "protected partition" on it (in addition to any regular partitions) that contains special "WD" software. This stuff IS NOT necessary (or even desirable) for use with the Mac...

16. MrGIS macrumors regular

Provide a screen shot

We can't you without a screen shot. Hint, use the "Grab" app on your Mac.

17. MacM4ODA thread starter macrumors regular

damnit any how, now i can not get the afore mentioned columns to appear on my screen, this is getting frustrating, i know how to do screen shots, but to copy and paste it is some how lost or i am doing something wrong.

i'll keep trying to find the columns and post it when i find it!

still, thank you for all your helpful replies.

18. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

Hello mate,

You can do a screenshot by hitting the following keys and dragging your mouse around the part of the screen you want to take a shot of:
    [​IMG]

To be honest it doesnt matter what drive specifically you are suing, all drives really are spinning disks inside an enclosure. Aside from some dodgy apps they sometimes bundle with them which should NEVER be installed, all hard drives are physically pretty much the same.

What matters is what they are formatted to, in your case I'm willing to bet you are formatted to FAT32 or NTFS which is the drives file system. Ideally for a Mac you should immediately format to MacOS Expended when you take it out of the box.

Do a right click on your drive on the desktop and hit 'Get Info'. You'll get a box like this (ignore the arrow on the button, i just googled this screenshot):

[​IMG]

Take a screenshot, it will appear on your desktop along with a screenshot of your Finder window showing the 0 files.

Next question is, what were you expecting to see? I take it you had content on this drive before? Initially it sounds to me like the files have become corrupted / or a hidden to OSX perhaps. But a screenshot can help us all to figure it out! :cool:

Also, run Disk Utility and have a look at the partition list, is there more than one partition? Maybe one of them isnt mounted and thats where your space is going? Take a screenshot of this:

[​IMG]

19. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky