Western Digital Green in a Raid-1

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SAdProZ, Dec 13, 2009.

1. SAdProZ macrumors 6502

SAdProZ

Want to buy two 1.0TB Western Digital Green harddrives for a Raid-1 enclosure called the Guardian MAXimus. Someone on the newegg site reviewed the Green's and claimed you should not buy for Raid setups.

Upon further research I am even more confused since some people say you need to use the TLER tool (or else the Raid controller could drop the HDD from the Raid array) and others say its been working just fine with their Raid-1. The opinions are about 50/50.

I'm hoping you guys can help settle the score. Would it be a problem using Greens in a Raid-1, and if so, are Blacks ok? And why is Raid-1 a problem with Western Digital desktop drives and not Seagates, etc?

Thanks in advance.

2. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...curious about this also, I just bought two of them... I was planning to put them into a JBOD enclosure for the time being until I found a raid enclosure I liked... I figured that companies would be upgrading their raid enclosures soon as many of them were offering rebates on them... who knows though...

3. SAdProZ thread starter macrumors 6502

SAdProZ

Which Raid enclosure were you looking at?

4. SAdProZ thread starter macrumors 6502

SAdProZ

P.s.

I contacted OWC to see what HDD they're using in the Guardian MAXimus.

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I was looking at some of the OWC offerings and the usual D-link, thecus, etc... from newegg and tigerdirect... I take consumer and PC mag reviews with a grain of salt (hard to trust any of them)...

6. SAdProZ thread starter macrumors 6502

SAdProZ

Hdd

By the way, the Guardian MAXimus uses 1.0TB and 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12

7. WilliamG macrumors G3

Nonsense. Western Digital's My Book Studio II line IS a RAID 1 enclosure so I figure if the Greens weren't good in RAID 1, WD wouldn't sell them as such. I'm running two of those My Books. In each enclosure is 2x 1TB Green in RAID 1 (you can also use RAID 0 if you're insane). Western Digital also have the 2x 2TB variety as well.

I've had no issues with any of these drives since mid-2008. I love the enclosures as well because they're USB 2/Firewire 400/800 and eSATA and generate no noise because there's no noisy fan in there.

8. SAdProZ thread starter macrumors 6502

SAdProZ

Coincidentally I was in the Apple Store yesterday and saw that WD did indeed have Greens in a Raid-1 in their own My Book Studio II. Although I kept in mind that they could have altered the Greens to run in Raid-1 where as the stock HDDs arent. Anyway, I looked it up on Amazon and according to some of the reviews there are problems with Firewire and it unmounting unnecessarily and needing to turn it off then back on to mount again, something to do with the Auto-off feature. Thats annoying.

Have you been using Firewire 800? Thats what I would be using.

9. WilliamG macrumors G3

NOT an issue anymore. I personally never had this issue, and I think it was an issue with VERY early controllers in the enclosures from WD. Again, I never once had this issue.

10. SAdProZ thread starter macrumors 6502

SAdProZ

So you're using Firewire 800 on it? Nice, I'll try it out, doesnt hurt since I can always return to Amazon.

11. WilliamG macrumors G3

Yep, no issues on my 2007 Mac mini or my 2009 Mac Mini or my two MacBook Pro 2008 and 2009 models. :)

**EDIT**

I used Firewire 400 on my 2007 mini, and Firewire 800 on my 2009 Mac mini/MacBook Pros.