Western Digital HD For Music ???

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by musicmad2000, May 23, 2012.

1. musicmad2000, May 23, 2012
    Last edited: May 23, 2012

musicmad2000 macrumors member

Hi

I recently purchased a VST plugin Galaxy ll and Vintage D the requirements suggested i install the the plugin on to a fast Hard Drive as the pianos will be streamed directly from the HD. I checked my Macbook 5.1 specs and the HD was only 5400 rpm, i then went to the store and bought the WD My Book Essential External Hard Drive 7200 rpm 1TB. Prior to doing no research on this new external Drive i was wondering if anyone could add any comments as to wether it will serve me justice, assuming others may have one ?

Thanks.

2. musicmad2000 thread starter macrumors member

I got this response from another user.
    Thats got me very confused now, which Drive should i be installing the plugin on ? I assumed the External Drive as this is the fast HD where the samples will be streamed from. For if the plugin is installed on the system Drive, How then can the samples come from the new fast Drive ?

3. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't install anything on an external hard drive.
    Yes, the drive itself is faster than the 5400 rpm drive.
    But it's connected via USB, wich is MUCH slower than the SATA connection of your internal hard drive.

Also, if you install anything on an external drive, then you won't be able to use that program when the drive isn't connected.

4. musicmad2000 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the feedback it's a big help.

But if i still wanted to use the WD 7200 rpm Drive for streaming the Sample Libraries, how would i get around this only having USB 2.0 ports. The WD 7200 External Drive has a 3.0 next generation port, but no FW port, and the Mac only USB 2.0.

It's complicated but is there any way around this ? or would it be a case of just having to replace the Mac's internal 5400 rpm Drive for a 7200 Drive ? Can this be done on a 2008 Macbook ?