Western Digital HDD and reliability?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by slipper, Oct 31, 2010.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

So it seems a lot of people have had a lot of problems with reliability with WD HDD's in the past. How are they today?

2. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

Pretty good IMO. I have 2 WD externals, they are not even a year old so I can't comment. However, I used a PC from 2002 that had 2 80GB WD Caviar's on it until last june and the drives NEVER failed. So I guess they are pretty good :p

3. toxic macrumors 68000

everyone has a problem with every brand. if anything, Seagate is the worst since no one else has had to recall anything :rolleyes:

WD provides a 5-year warranty and will replace any product that stops working in that time period.

I had a WD external which just died after ~2 years, though it was the enclosure that failed, not the HD.

I personally stick to Hitachi, Samsung, or WD.

4. Scippy macrumors regular

I have had no issue with my WD hard drive and recently WD seems to have been getting better reviews than most.

5. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

I have definitely noticed good reviews on WD as of late. But i remember WD in particular getting terrible reviews in the past.

I just bought a 2TB WD My Book Essential and i'm window shopping for a higher capacity internal from my Hitachi 7k320. Not looking to do it in the near future since the two (or three) 1TB 2.5" options available now have terrible performance.

6. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I haven't had a failure in about 18 months.

I currently have...
    • 3 WD Black 2TB's
    • 3 WD Green 2TB's
    • 4 WD Black 1TB's
    • 4 WD Green 1TB's
    All in use daily.

7. hoopster macrumors member

Won't buy anything but WD. DO NOT buy a Seagate, Everyone I know has had problems with them.

8. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I have a total of 9 Western Digital's (internal and external) which range from a few months, to a few years old. Happy to say none have failed....yet...

9. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I've had horrible luck with Western Digitals. Most recently, a 2TB Green drive started failing in my unRAID array after less than 1 year of use. Also, about a month ago, I installed a 500GB Scorpio into my friend's MBP and it had problems within a week.