Western Digital My Book help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by summero, Jul 31, 2007.

1. summero macrumors regular

summero

I just got this thing tonight and I need help installing it into my MacBook Pro. I followed all the instructions; turn on my computer and connect the AC adapter and USB cable, and nothing pops up.

Someone please help?

2. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    on off switch?

open up disc utility> anything?

does the HD have a light glowing so you know it's on?

should work fine..

might be a lemon....

3. summero thread starter macrumors regular

summero

Yeah, no light on. I've tried turning on the on/off switch. And I don't see it on Disk Utility.

4. summero thread starter macrumors regular

summero

5. summero thread starter macrumors regular

summero

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

IMO that article is complete and utter hooey.
    A power strip has 2 modes of operating --
    1) full power delivered to all plugs up to 15 amps total draw.
    2) no power to any device if the fuse has blown.
    A Power bar does not run out of juice.

Granted, if you were running an air conditioner in one plug on the power bar, the external drive might put it over the top. Possibly the surge suppression circuit in the power bar is on the verge of failing. Or just possibly, noise could be fed into drive by a misbehaving appliance plugged into another plug on the same strip. Or if you have a surge suppressor powerbar plugged into a ferroresonant uninterruptible power supply there are rare circumstances where the power could be unstable. But these add up to about a 100,000 to one chance.

But seriously -- This is just a tech support 'reducing the variables' experiment. There is no causality here.

Sometimes when troubleshooting, I will tell a client to take the Ethernet cable from their machine and the wall or the router, and swap it end for end. Is this because the signal only goes one way? Of course not. It's because if I say to them "check the cables to see they are securely plugged in" then 95 out of 100 clients will simply look at the back of the machine, see a cable and reply "Yup, its securely plugged in".
    3 percent will bend down and actually grab the cable where it goes in and check. And 2 percent will go as far as checking the other end of the cable as well.

Telling them to swap the cable end for end ensures that they unplug and re-make the connection at both ends -- which was my goal all along. It's what is called a forcing action.