Western Digital My Book Studio

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by The Hammer, Jul 10, 2008.

1. The Hammer macrumors regular

Whats the difference between the My Book Studio and the My Book Studio Pro? The Pro is physically larger and has a three year warranty as opposed to five years for the Studio. The Pro costs a bit more than the Studio. Both are 7,200rpm drives and appear to have all the same connections Usb 2.0 firewire 400 and 800. So why would anyone buy the Pro?

2. dibara2003 macrumors 6502

there's no such thing as a studio pro. i think you may be confusing it with another brand. anyhow, the studios (white ones) are formatted for macs and are ready to use out of the box.

3. PLin macrumors 6502

There is a My Book Studio II but not a Studio Pro. The Studio II has two drives in a RAID, and the enclosure was designed to open easily so you could replace a failed drive.

4. The Hammer thread starter macrumors regular

No problem I believe you guys are correct but there was a sign beside one of the WD Studio editions that was physically larger than the other one referring to it as the "Pro" in the Sherway Gardens Apple Store in Toronto. That is what triggered my original post.

5. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Maybe they mean "pro" as in "for professional use", especially if it was a Studio II RAID model.

6. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

If you're talking about the difference between the silver and the black; the silver includes a firewire 800 port.

7. The Hammer thread starter macrumors regular

Thats likely it as one was physically larger and both were silver.

8. Vaphoron macrumors 6502

Vaphoron

I bought 2 750GB My Book Studios a few months back and they barely worked. They were completely useless until I did a firmware update and even then the kept disconnecting after a few hours so I returned them both. Since the exact same thing was happening with both I would recommend staying away from them or purchasing from somewhere you can return them easily. If you get one, try it out very thoroughly and leave it on for extended periods of time to verify it works well. I always recommend testing a HD for about a week before trusting it for any valuable data. I always test by moving a large amount of data into a single folder and then duplicating that folder numerous times until the entire drive is full.