Western Digital My Book World Edition II connected to IMAC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tsutaz, Mar 19, 2010.

1. tsutaz macrumors newbie

Hi,

Just got a WD My Book World Edition II 2TB. I would like to reformat this drive specifically for mac. It's sole purpose is to be used with Time Machine.

I currently have the drive connected to my IMAC via ethernet. Finder shows the external HD listed under Shared as MyBookWorld and another one as MyBookWorld-Backup. Time Machine preferences/select disk shows this drive as "WD_Backup on MyBookWorld-Backup".

Using DiskUtility.app the drive DOES NOT show up!

Should I send this drive back from where I ordered? Anyone have any experience with this drive? Should I even bother to reformat?

I have NOT installed the software that came with the drive? Why should I?

Any help/Advise is greatly appreciated. I'm, not looking to do anything crazy here. Just need a 2TB disk to use with Time Machine.

Oh and I have an Airport Extreme too, and when the drive is connected to it, i get the same thing as when the drive is connected directly to the IMAC.

Thanks
    Taz

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

According to the official webpage by WD, this is a network storage HDD, which has its own file system (format) so no need to format it with any kind of software, as that would destroy its network capabilities.

Have you used any of the documentation available by WD to install and use that drive?

As far as I could find, a firmware update made this HDD Time Machine compliant.

So if you set it up using the documentation that came with that HDD, you might be able (better: you should) to detect and use that HDD as a Time Machine, as it is nothing more then a network volume.

Documentation can be found here:
    http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=588

Btw, it's spelled "iMac" and not "IMAC".