Western Digital My Cloud

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Gonzo3333, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

http://www.cnet.com/network-storage/wd-my-cloud-3/4505-3382_7-35828119.html

For all of you storage nerds out there, does this device from Western Digital look like something you would buy? I ask this because I am looking for an easy storage solution that I can access from anywhere. I know it does not support RAID but you can attach another USB 3.0 hard drive to it for more storage or to back it up. I watched a few YouTube videos about it and think it would be almost perfect for me. I also don't want to spend $700+ on a NAS so the prices are ideal for me. What do you guys think?

2. AirBeagle macrumors newbie

AirBeagle

I was looking at it myself as an alternative to large monthly fees from DropBox... Have you had a chance to try it yet?

3. Gonzo3333 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

Not yet. There are not that many reviews on it yet. I would really like it to have a second drive for backup before I get it. But at $150 for the 2 TB model seems like it is too good of a deal to pass up. I may get it for myself sometime around Christmas.

4. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I'll probably pick 1 or 2 up by Christmas, I was waiting on some good reviews showing overall performance but I'm kind of a sucker for WD externals.

These or go all in with a Lacie 5big or Promise Pegasus.

5. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

This looks like a steal. Can't wait for the multi hard drive RAID setup, will have to grab one of these and then convert it to a Time Machine drive when the RAID ones are released.

6. lenard macrumors 6502

Got one about two weeks ago. Great deal for the price. The mobile iso apps good be better, hoping for improvement in the future. Very quit, easy to setup and works great for time machine backups and other stuff. I did not like the idea and of having private data on dropbox plus the the year fee of $99.00 for 100gb of storage. I got he 2tb version of the wd my cloud. You can google for reviews by searching for WD Mycloud reviews and check out the reviews of the iso my cloud app in the iso app store.

7. Gonzo3333, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013

Gonzo3333 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

8. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

I picked up the 3TB My Cloud last week for my new rMBP. So far so good. Plug and play with my existing router. The drive quickly appeared up on my Mac.

I avoided installing any software by enabling Bonjour in Safari's bookmark bar to access its controls. Following along with their manual to setup Time Machine, it was straight forward, no need to do special formatting of the drive or anything.

I plugged in a Seagate 2 TB external for a test and it quickly showed up on the network. You can disable it or adjust permissions, plus based on users, through the controls in Safari using bonjour.

Haven't tested it on other devices, but noticed it did show up on my LG HDTV.

I think it's a pretty good deal for the price, and like that it wasn't much more to go 3TB to be on the safe side.

9. marc55, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014

marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

Anyone use the new WD My Cloud?

Just wondering if any more of you guys are using the WD My Cloud for backup, and how good it works.

I thought I read somewhere that there was an issue with iPhoto?

Thank you

10. n1tul macrumors newbie

As others I am also interested in these, can anyone confirm if they are able to backup a camera roll (including videos) from my iPhone and my wife's iPhone the same way iCloud backs them up automatically?

Ideally I want to back up all the images to the my cloud drive and then remove them from the phones to clear up space?

11. SunnyFL macrumors regular