Western Digital My Passport

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by c073186, May 31, 2008.

1. c073186 macrumors 6502a

I really like the WD My Passport drives but I am not sure if I should get the Studio or Elite. The Studio says it is preformatted for Mac, which is what I would mostly use it for, but there might be times that I need to swap files with a Windows machine. Would that be possible without reformatting the drive? Also, I like the black finish on the Elite better than the Silver of the Studio. So is there any reason to buy the Studio over the Elite? The Elite could always be reformatted for Mac, right?

2. Hydramus macrumors member

The elite comes formatted in FAT32 which is compatible with both Mac and windows, while the studio comes formatted in HFS which is only compatible with macs. But both can be reformatted to whatever file system before usage.

The only advantage of the studio drive is that it has firewire connectivity along with USB so if that is important to you then go for the studio. Other than that, the only difference is colour.

3. c073186 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is Firewire better than USB 2.0? Also, it says that it does not need a power adapter because it is powered by USB - would that stay true if I plugged it into my Apple keyboard or does that not have powered USB ports?