Western Digital MyBook HDD Enclosures

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by xXriderXx7, Nov 12, 2007.

1. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

Hi.
    I have a spare 100 gig 3.5 HDD that I would like to use as my Time Machine Back Up Disk.

The only problem is that I dont have an enclosure for it. I already have a WD Mybook, but it is filled to the brim, and would like to keep the look.

Does anybody know where I could get an enclosure?
    Any major retailers?

Thanks

2. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

I like newegg.com. They've got a bazillion and one enclosures for almost any drive type (5.25"/3.5"/2.5", PATA/SATA, USB/FW400/FW800/eSATA)

Check 'em out

If you're looking for physical retailers, Frys would have a good selection and you'll find only a few at BestBuy, CircuitCity and CompUSA.

3. xXriderXx7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

Wow.
    There are some really nice ones on there.

Thanks a bunch

4. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

NP! I personally like the Vantec Nexstar line for 3.5" SATA drives. The power brick is a PITA but the case is nicely designed and fanless.

Edit: I just realized the search results I linked don't include the enclosure I bought. Which is this one. If I were to buy it again, I'd look for a FW800 version, if they make it. eSATA is fast but not very portable as no one has it. USB is nice but slow.

5. admiraldennis macrumors regular

Tip: don't buy a passively-cooled enclosure if you plan on having it switched on and spun up 24/7. The heat over a few years is fairly bad for the drives and can cause everything from drive noise to failure.