Western Digital MyBook Pro 1TB ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Blazer5913, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Blazer5913 macrumors 6502

Just wondering what you guys thought about this drive. I recently got 100 bucks from the iPhone deal thing, and this really prompted me to get the external HD i've been needing for so long. Currently, I have a slow, 120gb external seagate one that i use for backups, but I'm looking for an external one with FW 800 that will be able to: 1) Store my video for video editing apps such as FCP and iMovie (so it's gotta be fast enough to work with the footage on the external drive...) as well as 2) store all my movies. Almost all of them are x264 720p HD movies that are about 4-6 gigs a piece. But I have a ton of them right now on a bunch of different devices so I want this 1TB drive to be able to hold it all... any suggestions, as of now I'm looking at the MyBook Pro edition, mainly because I could use my apple store credit, but if there is a better drive out there for me, I would gladly take the suggestions! Thanks so much!

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

By most accounts it is a noisy drive. Consider that in your work environment. Also, at least in Canada, Costco has it for WAAAY less ($120 less) than Apple or anyone else, so your $100 discount may be wasted on this product.

3. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

it is loud, but coming from a PC where I had 6 fans to cool it, it doesn't bother me at all.

But I keep my place cool as well and my desk is right by a vent where the cool air comes in.

Overall solid and fast drive"s"

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I have read some less than stellar reviews of the MyBook series, so I cannot recommend it based on that. However, there was a similar thread on MR a little while ago where someone mentioned they owned about 3 or 4 MyBook drives and was quite happy with their performance. Do your research and consider things such as what CanadaRAM brought up.

Personally, I highly recommend Seagate drives. :cool:

5. gordyc44 macrumors newbie

Rocstor Rocpro 800AV

I recently ordered the 500GB version of this drive - it's due to arrive on Monday morning - check it out:

http://www.rocstor.com/Products/rocpro-800av.html

It looks excellent - If you haven't decided in the next few days I'll try and post an opinion of it here once I get it. I *really* wanted one with an eSATA port too but the only company I found who did one with an internal PSU was this one -

http://www.cooldrives.com/fi800andusb21.html and they don't ship outside the US.

My requirements were FW800 and internal power supply - I currently have an ICY Box drive enclosure with a 320GB disk in it but the external PSU is a real pain. I need to move the drive around a lot and it'll be so much better having just a standard power cable. Also, FW800 will go very nicely with my new MBP 17" (also due this week!).

Obviously you can't use your store credit on these but they both look very good. Hope this helps!

G.

6. psingh01 macrumors 65816

I thought about getting a MyBook as well but did not because of the poor reviews. One thing to note is that it is 2 500GB drives instead of one 1TB drive so it is heavier than most.

I purchased the 1TB Hitachi Easy Hard Drive (USB) and am quite happy with it. It is very quiet and doesn't weigh much since it is only one drive instead of two. I had to have my AC adapter replaced though, but the customer service was helpful and quick, I got my replacement part only 2 days after I asked for it.

I bought it at best buy for $400 about 2 months ago.