Western Digital MyBook Studio

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by klymr, Oct 7, 2007.

1. klymr macrumors 65816

So, now that WD is kinda phasing out the "classic" MyBooks, they have introduced the "new" ones (which I like the looks of more). Has anyone seen the MyBook Studio edition? It comes with quad interface; USB 2.0, Firewire 400 & 800, and eSATA. It comes formatted for Mac. Kinda a slick little piece of equipment.

Anyway, I am in the market for an external drive, and unfortunately I didn't get to Best Buy on time to buy a 1TB triple interface MyBook for $250. I really like the new 1TB Studio edition, and I've found it online for $379 with free shipping. The great thing is, it is not one of those fat ones. They must have a 1TB drive in the case and not two 500GB drives. I might have to give this drive a go.

2. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

I really wanted to buy the WD studio but its priced so high I think I ll just wait to see if it gets cheaper.
    But the HD is really sweet

3. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

I saw the new ones today. Due to pricing, I went with the 500 triple interface, as there were no more Tb ones left and the 750 clearance had no fw 800.

4. klymr thread starter macrumors 65816

I know what you mean on the price. I need a drive for work, sorta. I need it to store stuff on so I can clean off my MBP hard drive so I can use that space for Windows (sorry to say). I also hope to start doing more editing with Final Cut, so the firewire 800 is a great option for now, and it's "future proof" so to speak with the eSATA. I guess I'll see if I can save a few extra pennies for a month or so. $379 for 1TB isn't so bad.

5. klymr thread starter macrumors 65816

The only drive they had at my Best Buy with Firewire 800 was the 1TB drive they sold for $250. I wish they weren't all sold out. Oh well.

6. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Well the only reason for Apple to ever include eSATA is to drop FW800. And I don't really see that happening.

7. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

They could get rid of the firewire 400 port and replace it with eSata, so you have a FW800 port and a esata port. FW800 is backwards compatible to 400 if you get a 9-6 or 9-4pin cable.