Western Digital MyBook World NAS harddrives

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by InkMaster, Jun 11, 2008.

1. InkMaster macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

quick question. Does anyone here have any experience w/ WD's My Book World drives?

http://westerndigital.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=347
    http://westerndigital.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=340

If hooked up to a router (a Airport Extreme for example) would I be able to manage it completely via Finder? -- ie format it, make partitions, delete stuff etc, instead of using WD's crappy utility apps.

I used other NAS' in the past but never had any experience w/ these specific ones so not entire sure how much they're tied into WD's apps...

//Also, another question... Time Machine - will I be able to use this HD w/ it?

AND another questions... I've read alot of mixed reviews about these drives - from them being loud, to extremely slow etc - does anyone here have any actual 'hands on' experience?

thanks

2. simplenation macrumors member

You can access the web interface of the device through any browser. These drives pull an ip from DHCP .. so you may need some type of IP scan tool to locate the drive. You can also check to see if your router has a list of assigned ips. The drive actually doesn't need to be formatted. Setting up shares through the web interface is very simple. I've configured and deployed hundreds of these drives for backup purposes for a medium size nation landscape company.

I almost forgot about your other questions lol

Loud? eh not really loader than any other external hard drive that i've used.

Timemachine? I've actually only used these drives in the windows world.. but i don't see why it wouldn't work.. it will just appear as any other file share on your network.

3. steveds macrumors newbie

mybook help

Hi guys, well basically to start with i've got some knowledge of all this but i am still pretty much a noob! ha! I have a Majik DS and a Western Digital Mybookworld edition 2. With this i want my nokia n810 to stream the music to my ds threw my nas drive but for this i need to install twonky onto my nas drive, i saw a post about usr/local/ but i cant find this anywhere please could some one give me abit more (step by step please :] )of a desriptive installation guide to install it, will be very very grateful i've been at this for about a week! Thanks alot, Steve!

4. charliex5 macrumors regular

I am seriously interested in this topic as well. Plz, if anybody knows anything let us know...

thx simplenation for what you have told us...