iPad Western Digital MyCloud - Just a NAS in iOS clothing?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by ReallyBigFeet, Oct 3, 2013.

1. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

So there's like a bajillion press releases for Western Digital's newest "My Cloud" NAS device today, its on all the major tech sites, CNN, etc. Everywhere. Bravo to them for a marketing blitz.

But looking at this thing, it just seems to me to be:

-A NAS
    -A couple of custom iOS/Android apps to access the NAS
    -Some "data synch" software to hook it up as a sharing point device to DropBox, Google Drive, etc.

In other words, I see nothing here that I can't already do with a standard NAS like Drobo, Netgear, Buffalo, etc.

Am I missing something or is this really just a neat marketing gimmick to package existing tech into something that i-Device users see as a "new shiny?"

http://store.westerndigital.com/sto...tegory.66881200/parid.56796900/catid.56857800

2. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

It definitely seems like a marketing gimmick. I'll stick with my pogo plug for my NAS solution, especially considering I can hook up multiple hard drives to the pogo plug.

3. Shield macrumors member

It really sounds like they've just changed the look and name of the former "My Book Live" network hard drives. I currently use the MBL drive and love it. Works flawlessly streaming my downloaded movies and TV shows through my wireless network to my WD TV box on my Plasma television. The iOS Apps are a nice way of accessing my photos and videos, etc., with my mobile devices while out on the go.