western digital or buffalo??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by utrinque, Feb 16, 2009.

1. utrinque macrumors newbie

for an external hd ive been looking at the western and the buffalo both 500gig and the huge 1tb all at quite a good price all below £80 at pc world at the moment was wondering if anybody has one of these and how easy to format for use with a macbook and a ps3 also want to use it for timemachine and itunes and iphoto back up i take a lot of photos and have a huge itunes music library that i would like to keep safe
    any suggestions or reviews would be most handy
    as pc world staff dont seem to be the best informed no offence
    manythanks:)

2. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

Always get the Biggest you can afford. I have both a WD and a Buffalo (1TB & 500GB) and I Like the WD more. It's Quieter and the black with Blue Light goes with my PS3.

When you get it, Partition it. 1 for Time machine, 1 for whatever.

Incidently, you do know that you can stream media to your PS3 don't you? You can use an application called Medialink from Nullriver. Its not freeware but $20 ish, and its well worth it. I used to cart my 1TB WD about the house. Download something, unplug it, take it downstairs, plug into PS3, watch, Unplug, Take back upstairs, Plug in, rerpeat. Very tedious after about a month. A Wifi (54/G) network will quite happily play SD content and some Lower bitrate HD (720p files /films snaller than 4GB) its not a filesize limit but a data throughput limit. a 5GHz 802.11n wifi network will prety much stream anything, on mine i can watch "The Dark Knight" BluRay rip (1080p 13GB) with no stutter at all.

3. utrinque thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

ahhh sounds interesting
    thanks for the reply off to get the western digital gotta be the 1tb should last ages until that gets full lol
    by the way the mac theme on .allps3themes ...is rather good m8 worth a look
    cheers:)

4. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

Buy.com has a $99 1TB WD this week. I really like the WD's and have found them to be the most reliable of all of my external USB drives