Western Digital Passport boot problems with Macbook 2,1

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by natman97, Feb 16, 2010.

1. natman97 macrumors newbie

natman97

So here's the deal. I got a new WD Passport Essential + Smartware (the new one) as it was on sale. So I partitioned it with GUID map gave a nice Mac OS Extended Journaled partition then I made a FAT partition, went to my cousins PC and Ubuntuized the FAT partition with Unetbootin. I couldn't test it there because I went in a rush. Got home and tried to boot it. And of course while pressing alt it didn't recognize it. Did a little searching and supposedly Western Digital drives don't work well with PPC macs when it comes to booting. I can't test it with a LiveCD or a Windows machine. I would say it was because of the PPC issue but this is an intel mac. Any idea's? An answer withing the next 30 days would be nice so I could return it :D

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Something in the ubuntu installation messed with the GUID partition table? You could try loading OSX onto the HFS+ partition and see if that boots.

3. natman97 thread starter macrumors newbie

natman97

Great idea, but unfortunately my CD drive is busted so I can't pop in my Leopard CD. (Actually there's a funny story involving my Grandpa)

4. natman97 thread starter macrumors newbie

natman97

Twiddling thumbs, how long does it take to get people talking?

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Time to get yourself an external DVD drive or borrow a friend's mac then. External USB based DVD drives are quite cheap now!