Western Digital Scorpio Blue 1 TB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sine-nomine, Dec 3, 2009.

1. sine-nomine macrumors regular

I remember reading that this hard drive will fit in the unibody MacBook Pros and the unibody aluminum MacBook, but I don't seem to be able to find it online. Has it been discontinued? Not released yet (I remember hearing it was released back in July, and some people seem to have reviewed it, though)? No one else seems to have a 1 TB laptop drive as far as I can see.

2. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

woot jessica FTW. :]
    can't wait until February :D

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I think 750GB and 1TB are triple platter ones so they are too thick (12.5mm). Largest 2.5" 9mm HD is 640GB which is dual platter

4. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

man thatd be nice to throw two of those into a Mini Server in raid.

5. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

OP is correct.

All unibody MBs and MBPs can take 12.5mm drives.

6. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

External Version

Read tales about people with the external version of these that had built-in partitions with a bunch of crapware like Sandisk Cruzer USB Thumbdrives. Took WD weeks to release software to get rid of the intrusive crapware partition.

BTW Got an external 880GB Seagate FreeAgent Go, this sucker is a good 60% thinker than the 500GB version.

7. sine-nomine thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't word my question as clearly as I intended. Since I know the drive will fit, I want one, but I don't seem to be able to find a source online. I've tried New Egg, Tiger Direct and a few google searches, but all sources I find say the drive is not shipping. My question is whether the drive simply isn't released yet, experiencing supply problems, or if it is already discontinued.

Thanks to everyone who responded. And thanks for the links, Jessica - every time I mention the drive to people, they argue that it won't fit. Now I have links for them. :)

8. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

9. phyzics101 macrumors regular

phyzics101

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Ummh.. IMO they can't. 12.5mm isn't a standard thickness for 2.5" HDs and not very many laptops can take them. 9mm (or is it 9.5mm) is the standard. As I said above, 12.5mm HDs are basically made from 3 platters (~333GB each in 1TB) and normally 9mm HDs are made from 2 platters. Of course I may be wrong but...

11. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Your opinion is wrong, though. The Unibody MacBooks and MacBook Pros are able to accept a 12.5mm drive. End of Story. I've done it, and I know others who have done it. Why not offer facts instead of guessing?

jW

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Okay, then I eat my words as a man.

I just remember reading several threads where people were saying that 12.5mm is too thick but I'm glad to hear it's not.

My bad :(

13. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

From what I have read, those drives inside those cases DO NOT have a SATA connection but a USB port.

Theres no way to use it in a MBP.

And yes, for the 100th time, Unibody MB/MBPs can take 12.5 mm drives:

750GB WD Scorpio Blue 5200RPM 12.5mm SATA Notebook HD with 8MB Cache - Fits all Apple MacBook & MacBook Pro 'Unibody' Models (13/15/17"), MacBook Pro 'pre-unibody' 17" models, and PC Laptops which support 12.5mm SATA Drives. New with 3yr WD Warranty. (WDGWD7500KEVT)

14. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man