Western Digital Scorpio Blue 1TB Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bill2p, Mar 7, 2011.

1. bill2p macrumors newbie

Anybody upgrade to one of these? I'm currently brushing against capacity on my 320 GB/7200 RPM Hitachi and the 1TB of space sounds like a dream. But the rated speed of 5200 RPM disturbs me. Some sources say the increased capacity makes up for the slow spindle speed, and the 3 platters make it equivalent to a 7200 RPM drive. If you have it, have you noticed a speed hit? How loud is it?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I imagine it's pretty quiet, although probably not as fast as a typical 7200 RPM drive because of the extra platter. I'd consider a 750GB 7200 RPM model in that case, unless you need the extra space.

3. bill2p thread starter macrumors newbie

Anybody got any personal experience with this drive? What about power consumption?

4. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Could just google and look at the sure-to-be many reviews of the drive in regards to power consumption.

5. bill2p thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually there haven't been that "many reviews," which is why I'm posting here, hoping for responses from anybody with personal experience.

6. zenio macrumors 6502

I use one and frankly it's been a pleasant surprise. It's in one of my 15" MBP's for work (2010) and compared to Hitachi Travelstars 7200 for example it's actually fast, quiet & cool. I've grown to really like it. Battery life is better than expected and there are no downsides.

7. bill2p thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks very much, Zenio. I appreciate your first-hand info.

8. toxic macrumors 68000

if you're using 300+GB and expect to keep expanding, get the 1TB. HDDs (and SSDs for that matter) slow down as they fill up, so a bigger, slower drive is often better than a smaller, faster one.

9. bill2p thread starter macrumors newbie

10. bill2p, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011

bill2p thread starter macrumors newbie

Success!

OK, it took a while to get everything, but I finally did the upgrade.
    I put the WD 1 TB drive into a Sharkoon Quickstore Portable Pro USB enclosure that comes with a slider you can remove to accommodate the 12.5 mm height. At first, my MBP failed to recognize the drive at all, whatever I tried (panic!). A friend at work suggested I try it in another computer. I plugged it into my Dell 10v Hackintosh which recognized it immediately, and I then used the Disk Utility on the Dell to format it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

The MBP then mounted the formatted WD 1 TB, no problem, and I cloned the MP's 320 GB start-up drive onto it. Then I swapped drives, which was a walk in the park on my 2nd generation MBP, even for a technically-challenged fumble-finger like me. The hardest part was fitting the MBP's battery back into its enclosure. Here's a tutorial.

When I restarted, the MBP took a good long time to boot up, and I first I thought I was hosed. But after sitting on a blank screen for about 20 seconds, the familiar Apple logo appeared and the boot-up proceeded normally. :apple:

It's still early in the game, but I've been using my MBP for a few hours and I don't notice any speed lags, compared to the 7200 RPM 320 GB drive I replaced. Everything I access, photos, applications, videos, loads just as quickly as before, if not more quickly. And I have all that space! [​IMG]

:D

11. Russell L macrumors regular