Western Digital SmartWare not installing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MitchAustralia, Oct 12, 2012.

1. MitchAustralia macrumors newbie

MitchAustralia

Hey guys,

Recently purchased a 1TB My Book for Mac, and currently trying to install the WD SmartWare.

Every time I attempt to do this it gets stuck on this screen:

[​IMG]

I have googled around and this is a common problem, however it seems as the problem was fixed by simply doing an OS update (as this was around the time of mountain lion being released).

Any help would be appreciated, cheers.

2. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

I don't have an answer for your question, but I'd like to make a suggestion. I'd ditch the WD SmartWare and just set Time Machine up to take care of the backups. You'll get the same results, without having to run that third party software in the background.

3. MitchAustralia, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012

MitchAustralia thread starter macrumors newbie

MitchAustralia

Yeah fair enough, I just thought the SmartWare provided other features like security preferences and gives you a nice display of the capacity etc ;)

EDIT: Just looked on WD's website for new versions of the software and there was, so installed that and working fine. The software provided probably didn't support ML?

4. MotorwayMan macrumors newbie

WD software

Hi,
    I had the same trouble with the My Book 3 TB drive with the included software. Like you, I discovered updated software at Western Digitals Ma download page and it solved the "hanging" software difficulty you also described here. Next, I was in the process of using their backup software over Time Machine (TM) when I came across this article, http://pondini.org/TM/D8.html, suggesting possible TM when conducting network back-ups. I'm staying with TM as a result. Hope this helps. Regards,
    jk