Western Digital Studio Edition II 4TB Eject/Power Off

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by blairh, Jan 8, 2014.

1. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

So I've been using a Western Digital Studio Edition II 4TB external HDD for a few years now with no problems. But I'm not entirely sure if the way I power on/off my HDD is the proper method or not.

What I do is plug my HDD adapter into a power source and then insert a connecting USB 2 plug into the back of my Mac Mini. When I connect the USB plug, the HDD powers up and shows up on my desktop. When I'm finished using the HDD I eject the drive from the desktop. The HDD light on the front is still on (it flashes on and off - sleep mode?) but no disks are spinning. I then remove the power source.

I realize there is a power button on this HDD. Should I instead be hitting the power button before plugging the drive into my Mini? And should I be hitting the power button after ejecting the drive from the Mini, before I unplug from the power source? Thanks.

2. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

3. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I've owned a pair for forever and I never use the power button. I just make sure the drive is ejected before I pull the power plug and plug it in to power before I connect it to the Mac.

4. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

That's what I've been doing. I think the drive is in a sleep mode if you will once ejected. At least I hope so so I don't ruin my data.