Western Digital World Edition NAS New - Good for iTunes/iPhoto Server?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Polska, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Polska macrumors member

Hey all,

I am planning on investing in a WD NAS so I can have all the family music and pictures centralized in one place. Is it worthy the investment considering the speed and sharing possibility? I have a regular 1TB and I am considering buying one just for the media. Does anybody here is already using it?

I don't see often msgs about sharing the iPhoto Library. Is that possible at all?

Thanks!
    Erick

2. WaltCD macrumors member

Share iTunes on a NAS

I have a Dlink DNS-323 server with two 1 TB hard drives in it, running a RAID 1 array (which duplicates everything from one drive to the other). Since this server is attached to the network (NAS-Network Attached Storage), all of my computers have easy access to it.

I store all of our music on it (about 8,000 songs). To get started, I copied my iTunes library over to each of my three kids' computers (just the library file, NOT the music itself). Now, each computer has the library files which contains the metadata (title, artist, etc) and knows where to look for the music. Also, since each kid wants to RATE his or her own songs, make their own playlists, etc, they can do so without affecting MY library.

It's a little of a pain, whenever I add songs, because I have to add them to each computer, but it accomplishes what I want.

I understand that TuneRanger is an amazing program that will synchronize any/all iTunes libraries on your network. I haven't tried it yet.
    http://www.acertant.com/web/tuneranger/

Good luck!
    Walt D in LV