Western Digital???!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by papa792, Oct 16, 2008.

1. papa792 macrumors member

2. Bfat567 macrumors 6502

Bfat567

one is made up of 1 internal drive and the other is made up of 2 internal drives

3. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

If it was me, I'd go with the 2-drive option, though I'd probably order from NewEgg or somewhere with a bit lower prices.

The deal with the 2 drive one is that you can configure it as RAID 1, if you so wished. This allows for less risk of complete data failure and flat out provides you with more options. Given the choice, I know I'd choose the dual drive one.

4. papa792 thread starter macrumors member

Okay i see why to get the dual one. Now if i get the dual one and i connect it to my laptop will it show up as two drives or what? Or will it still show up as 1 drive but really is 2 drives?

5. RRutter macrumors 6502

Agreed with a previous poster, find a cheaper dual-drive 1 TB. Dual-Drive are, I believe, more stable than single drive? Is that the case? Someone report back.

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

Under RAID, (0 or 1), it will show up as 1 drive. :)

7. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Yep! But remember, papa792, if you set it to RAID 1, you will be halving your storage space as the data will be stored on both drives.

8. cuestakid macrumors 68000

true. However, if one really chose too, you can configure the drive as JBOD(just a bunch of disks) which would display two separate HDs on your desktop. Though you should note that this configuration gives no fault-tolerance found in RAID 1 or any of the speed improvements of RAID 0. The main advantage of JBOD is that you can use all the storage