Western Digital's new MyCloud NAS

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Giuly, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Giuly, Nov 21, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Why didn't I get a memo on this? :rolleyes:

Anyways, Western Digital announced a new single-bay NAS, the MyCloud. At $40 more than a regular MyBook with USB 3.0, it's certainly less expensive than even the most basic Synology.

[​IMG]

The interesting bits from the press release:
    Too long, didn't read? Frankly, me neither.
    It stores you audio/video/media library on an internet connected hard drive and allows you to access them on a Mac, PC or iOS device - :rolleyes:.

From what I understand it's a MyBook Live with a faster CPU, the ability to add a second USB 3.0 hard drive (or maybe even more with a hub) and with DLNA to work with your Playstation 4 or Xbox One.

Hang on, but what's this?
    [​IMG]

The MyCloud EX4, a $349 4-bay NAS. And with a 2GHz dual-core CPU is not only a little less expensive but also faster than a Synology DS413j, too.

Look at that, it supports aMule.

But if you're looking for a single-bay NAS as a companion to your Xbox One with non-replaceable hard drive, the MyCloud might be worth a look.

2. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

I picked one up and it's great.

The problem is Time Machine back up is brutally slow. For awhile I thought maybe it was the wifi. But yesterday I bought a Thunderbolt to Ethernet and plugged it in directly to my Retina Macbook and after 10 hours it only backed up 9 gigs. At that rate i'll have a full back up in 2 weeks.

So I have no clue what's up with that.

Anyone experience this?

3. ijha, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013

ijha macrumors regular

ijha

Definitely I'm curious but the Amazon reviews say that it is sort of difficult to set up for newbies. Is it true?

4. Hrothgar macrumors 6502

I've been looking at this for a while. Right now I'm using a 1tb WD external drive. I've partitioned 650 gb for backing up my MBP and 350 gb to store excess media and other files. I'm trying to decide whether I need the additional space right now and whether the "cloud" option is something I'll use.

Is there a comparably priced product out there? The Time Capsule seems to significantly more expensive.

5. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

I tried out the 3TB MyCloud a few weeks ago and was enjoying it until after 16 days. TimeMachine reported it needed to start a new backup after trying to verify. I don't know if it was a one time incident, or going to happen all the time. Either way, restarting the backup defeats the purpose of Time Machine and takes forever through a network drive, tying down my MacBook.

Speed:
    After setting it up, connected to my router, I started backing up an external USB 3.0 drive on my Early 2013 rMBP with Mountain Lion connected via WiFi. That initial backup was about 370-400gigs and took about 24 hours to complete. Later I backed up an additional 300 gigs.

Corrupt Backup
    From what I researched, the "Start New Backup" issue has been around since the release of Lion, and seems to happen with WiFi backups. Users that started the new back up had to do again and again. I can't really report all the conditions, since I can't read all 25 pages about this problem in Apple's support forum:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3684176?start=0&tstart=0

It's probably not the WD MyCloud's fault, but if OSX is causing it, I can't rely on a Network drive. So instead, I went and bought a WD 3TB Mac addition MyBook at Best Buy for about $130. Already formated for Mac and comes with 3 year warranty instead of 2 found on standard PC editions.

Using USB 3.0 through a hub while my rMBP is docked, it only took about an hour and a half to backup 700gigs, primarily stored on another USB 3.0 drive. If the Time Machine backup goes corrupt again, at least I know it won't take long to start over. Plus, entering Time Machine is more responsive and the short interval backups don't hang as much as they did over the network.

6. priitv8 macrumors 68020

As I've written several times in this forum, the wireless backup works without a hitch against:
    1) Mac Mini OS X Server
    2) TimeCapsule
    2.5) After flawless 2 months I'm also tempted to say it works on 4th Gen Express. But I'm not confident yet.

7. jasnw macrumors 6502

Warning: If you are considering a NAS to host your bloated iPhoto library, or libraries, forget it. After purchasing one of these MyCloud NAS systems in order to put my family's large iPhoto library set out where everyone has easy access, I then find that Apple has tied iPhoto so closely to the OS and its filesystem that putting the iPhoto library out on a non-Apple OS is impossible or very nearly so. I am now trying to find an iPhoto alternative that's not quite so AR about the filesystem.

8. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Try Lyn. http://www.lynapp.com
    iPhoto is a dead loss if you want to anything other than follow Apple's strictures 100%. I only use it to receive stuff via Photostream. Everything is then copied elsewhere.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Actually, I think its the NAS you picked. i have a Qnap NAS and it works seamlessly for my Time Machine, Aperture and iTunes streaming. I also know that Synology works well with these tasks as well.

I tried a Seagate NAS before I purchased the Qnap and found it lacking in compatibility, I assume the same thing is going with WD - so in a sense its not Apple's fault but rather WD's

10. jasnw macrumors 6502

I'll give it a try, but I've seen several posts on various sites that say emphatically that the problem is iPhoto's reliance on how HFS+ works. The issue is specifically with iPhoto and not the other apps like iTunes.

11. Jnesbitt82 macrumors 6502

Jnesbitt82

Has anyone used the EX4 as a media server? I was considering buying one in January once I start back college.

12. aggiesrwe03 macrumors regular

Registered user access

anyone know how to access the drive locally as a "registered user" (via finder>network) I can access it as a guest, but its doesn't let me get to the USB HD I have connected to the MyCloud, no combination of username/password I can think of is working. thanks!

13. farleyb2 macrumors newbie

Using the USB?

Has anyone tried to plug a OSX Extended Journal formatted HD into the USB port on the MyCloud? Could you use the functionality of the MyCloud service, while still being able to access any iPhoto library by storing it on the attached HD? Just a thought...

14. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Looks like HFS+ Journaled is a supported disk format:

The WD My Cloud supports the following file systems

15. simonboucher57 macrumors newbie

Time Machine only backing a few files onto WD MyCloud

Can you help me find why Time Machine is only backing-up a few files to my 3TB WD MyCloud?:

For my Mac Mini only these 5 files are created:
    com.apple.TimeMachineID.bckup 0.4 KB 14-02-021 09:34
    com.apple.TimeMachineID.plist 0.4 KB 14-020-21 09:34
    info.bckup 0.5 KB 13-11-30 18:32
    info.plist 0.5 KB 13-11-30 18:32
    token 0.1 KB 13-11-30 18:32

For our MacBook Pro same 5 files are created with different dates:
    com.apple.TimeMachineID.bckup 0.4 KB
    com.apple.TimeMachineID.plist 0.4 KB
    info.bckup 0.5 KB
    info.plist 0.5 KB
    token 0.1 KB

But for my Lenovo Laptop, using Smartware (software recommended)
    I can see different volumes for my C and D drives and the folder and files structure underneath them with file size and date backed…
    So I know it's working.

All 3 machine are set-up to be backed to MyCloud. Only the PC is being backed-up???

I have made sure I was set-up as a referenced user with MyCloud ID and PW not as guest.

WD Claims MyCloud is able to back-up both PC and Mac on the same disk but now… I really have a doubt…

Anyone knows the answer or the Fix to this situation?

Best Regards,

Simon

16. Jmanmx macrumors newbie

Any idea what makes this so difficult to accomplish? Would creating a Symbolic link on each computer in the appropriate folder be possible to fix this?