Westmere quad? Confused..

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Icaras, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I'm a little confused of some of the options with Westmere. I was reading the features page on the Mac Pro site and Apple states:

I thought Westmere started at 6 cores in a single processor configuration? I then went to the tech specs page and under "Processor upgrade options", it only shows the quad cores as "Nehalem".

So is there such thing as a Westmere quad? Or is this just a goof up from Apple? If there is a quad version, might anyone more knowledgeable in processors know what might be a predictable BTO price would be from Apple? And if this might use the newer 1333Mhz RAM?

Appreciate any light on the subject...

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

CPU Codename Cores Transistor Count Die Size
    Westmere 6C Gulftown 32nm 6 1.17B 240mm2
    Nehalem 4C Bloomfield 45nm 4 731M 263mm2
    Nehalem 4C Lynnfield 45nm 4 774M 296mm2
    Westmere 2C Clarkdale 32nm 2 384M 81mm2

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2930

"The other big news is that Intel will be releasing 4-core variants of Westmere as well. While I originally assumed this would mean desktop and server, Intel hasn't committed to anything other than a quad-core Westmere. These parts could end up as server only or server and desktop."

http://www.intel.com/design/intarch/xeon/specifications_xeon.htm?iid=ipp_embed+proc_xeon_proc

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There are quad core versions as well, they are simply 6-cores with two cores disabled, makes it easier for Intel to sell defective parts (it's common that it doesn't go 100% while binning or something). They are little cheaper than Gainestowns as well. However, those are only in 56xx series so they are meant for DP systems. For SP system, it's still Nehalem. I think it was 3499$ for 2.4GHz octo.

4. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

Err, how about more expensive? 5620 $387 verus 5520 $373.

Also not so sure this is "binned on failure". Here is a good overview of the offerings.

http://ark.intel.com/ProductCollection.aspx?series=47915

Roughly half of them are 4C. Either Intel has a seriously high failure rate or some of these are clipped on purpose (same way 3600 are clipped in QPI and i7 are clipped in QPI and ECC ). While the failed ones probably are binned there are also likely configuring some of these also.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

E5620 is 133MHz faster than E5520, before it was 530$ for 2.4GHz E5530. The number of models have nothing to do with how many of the actual chips are quads. I just remember Nanofrog saying something about how usual it is that one or two cores will fail when binned. AMD has done this for years. It's very possible that some, if not most of them are perfect six cores but just two cores disabled.

I hope Nano drags his ass here soon, he can explain this using more technical words :p

6. packsherpah macrumors newbie

Westmere

If the 4 Core Westmere is really just a 6 Core with 2 cores disabled, does that mean there is some method by which you could re-enable those 2 cores? That would be pretty cool, since you have a 12 core system by buying an 8 core system and turning on the disabled 4 cores.... big savings :)

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

In PCs, probably yes, at least that has been done with AMD CPUs but Macs are different and lack BIOS/open EFI

8. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I wonder if Otellini regrets this quote (probably not):

9. Vylen macrumors 65816

Intel says a lot of things.

Previously, during the time when multicore CPU's were new, AMD said they hope to see 8-core and more CPU's in the future. In response Intel said something along the lines of "We'll make 2, 4, and 6 core CPU's. No one needs 8".

And well, the Sandy-bridge roadmap has an 8-core CPU planned.

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There is already Becton which is 8-core

11. Icaras thread starter macrumors 603

Icaras

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like I'll be looking into the six core then. Really anxious to see the price on that...