Wet Charger, Error Message -- HELP :(!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ekauriphoneuser, Jun 21, 2008.

1. ekauriphoneuser macrumors newbie

The piece of the charger that connects to my iphone fell into a glass of water last night....I don't know how long it was in it, and the charger was plugged in. As soon as I saw, I dried it and connected it to the phone, but all I get now is an error message -- this accessory is not for use with iPhone, do you want Airport mode, and so forth.

What should I do? How can I make things start to work properly again?

(The nearest Apple store is about 4-5 hours away...)

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Leave it for 48 hours before plugging it in? If its just the charger, try leaving it for 48 hours then try plugging it in again. Otherwise just buy a replacement. I assume the iPhone itself is OK.

3. ekauriphoneuser thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you eraserhead; i hope the charger does work after 48 hours -- it's now ~36 hours, and nothing is happening (even the error message no longer appears).

The unit was plugged in when the end fell into water -- is that likely to make a difference? (I've tried connecting the USB charger cable to the computer to check if maybe the unit short-circuited, but it doesn't make a difference.)

The phone, btw, works just fine. It's just running out of charge :( .

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You aren't supposed to try it for 48 hours to give it a chance to completely dry out. Putting power through it if its still wet will damage it.

Yes.

Good, so you are only $20 out then ;). Make sure if you drop something electrical in water again that you leave it for 48 hours before trying it so it has the chance to completely dry out.

5. lozanoj83 macrumors 6502a

lozanoj83

Why dont you try calling Apple and telling them what happened? You never know you could get a replacement...