Wet keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kirkbross, Mar 17, 2013.

1. kirkbross macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

So our cat knocked a full glass of water across our iMac keyboard... the low-profile aluminum keyboard with white keys. Needless to say, some keys stopped working.

I put it in direct sun for a few days and a few of the keys came back to life, but alas one key -- the I key -- is still dead.

Any suggestions other than dropping $49 for a new keyboard? I feel like I'm so close to fixing it! :)

2. OS6-OSX macrumors 6502a

OS6-OSX

Since the alternative is to spend $49 on a new one, break out the mini screwdriver kit, 99% alcohol, q-tips and canned air. After a good cleaning and "Blowing out" the chances of your "I" returning will greatly increase.

MacPro 2008 3.1 | 14GB Ram | Quadro 4000 | MC6.0 | OS 10.6.8 | MOTU HDX-SDI | ATTO R644| LaCie 324

3. dmax35 macrumors 6502

Stick the keyboard in a bag of kitty litter or rice.

4. kirkbross thread starter macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

5. Moogintroll macrumors member

If there was no sugar in the water, you're probably ok. If the worst comes to the worst and you have to do some repairs, I once fixed my keyboard membrane with some conductive ink. It's not cheap for the amount of ink you get but it's probably cheaper than a new keyboard.

6. PowerPCMacMan macrumors 6502a

PowerPCMacMan

Skin the kitty for doing such a bad thing to you. No, seriously.. don't do that as the cat did not know it would shorten out a key of keys.