wet phone : I Phone 6 - dropped in toilet

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jimdt, Feb 3, 2017.

1. jimdt macrumors newbie

Three weeks ago, it was in toilet for three hours. Recovered, separated panels, dried, Apple and white screen flashed every two or three seconds. Installed new battery. It came on, worked normally for maybe ten minutes. Charged it. It was at 52% when installed. Charged it to 70 + % . Now it won't come on. When I plug it back in charger white screen flashes every two or three seconds like before. But, it will not boot up and once unplugged from the charger, it will not even flash the white screen with the Apple logo. Any help out there ?

2. Bart Kela Suspended

Bart Kela

Sorry, it's dead. Time for a new phone. Good luck.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I am afraid your phone drowned. Why did it stay in there 3 hours? Kids?

4. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

What do you want us to say?

Take it to Apple Store and find out repair costs. Simple after that - repair it or buy a used or new phone.

5. Freakonomics101 macrumors 65816

Freakonomics101

6. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

I think at this point it's probably best to cut your losses. Apple offers an "Other damage (out of warranty)" repair service for water damaged phones. For the iPhone 6 it's $299, if you have an iPhone 6+ it's $329.

https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/service/pricing

7. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

8. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

It was in there for three hours? Blimey, I can't be without my phone for 5 minutes without breaking into a sweat :D

I'm afraid with that lengthy submersion your phone is in all likelihood deid as a dodo. If it was a short time, or you got it quick enough you can try the old trick of putting it in a bag with rice and sealing it airtight, then leaving it for 24 hours to draw the moisture out.

There's also commercial products you can buy which do much the same thing, but with more sophisticated materials. Maybe worth keeping a couple of those in the house.

That's not going to help you now of course, but handy to know for any future occurrences.

9. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

With three hours submerged in water I'm surprised it even turned back on. Use it as a paper weight.

10. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

That's unfortunate. But impressive it worked briefly. There is no help in your situation. I would look for a used/refurbished device To save money in your situation.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It's pretty much done.
    Don't waste any more money trying to fix it.

12. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I can't even imagine trying to fix or keep a device that's hit toilet water. Much less 3 hours.

I'd either buy a new device or you can find some decently priced used iPhones on Swappa. Sorry for your luck.

13. jimdt thread starter macrumors newbie

thx ! It was put in rice for three days ! Then when I took it apart there was still a little moisture in it. Left it in front of hot wood stove for the afternoon before I installed new battery. There was certainly no moisture in it then but....oh well, **** happens ! The water was clean, by the way. Not my phone but sister looked for it for three hours before finally looking in toilet. Slipped off the back of toilet.

14. OriginalAppleGuy macrumors 6502a

OriginalAppleGuy

Yeah, anything that drops in the toilet either gets flushed or thrown out with rubber gloves. No such thing as clean toilet water to me.

15. geta macrumors 6502a

Sh(i)t, i mean drowned in ****... :D

seriously though, try putting it inside uncooked rice bowl, hope it will help.

16. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

You must upgrade your cleaning regime, then you wouldn't have to be so wasteful.
    On average there's more bacteria and often as much as 200 times more fecal bacteria on a chopping board than there is in the loo. The chopping board is an extreme example of course, it's due to the amount of fecal bacteria that originates from raw meat, those nasty animals have a lot to answer for.

Not to mention that most smartphones have significantly more bacteria as well due to them being used so frequently and in so many different places.

By contrast, the toilet in many people's homes is significantly cleaner. Because of what it is, most people clean it more than any other room and with stronger cleaning materials thanks to the psychological impression that it's a dirty place.

Of course those are just averages based on research. It wont apply the same to people like myself who are semi-obsessed with cleanliness and order. Or those nutters you see on TV who bathe in diluted bleach because they're so terrified of germs.

Which is so far beyond stupid it's baffling, we need exposure to germs and bacteria to build a healthy immune system, but that's another matter altogether.

17. iSheep5S macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

One reason to go vegan or at least vegetarian.

Not sure where you are but most people forget about apples like for like replacement.

Long time ago but i got a like for like iPhone 4s for £120. Needless to say i was happy.

18. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I think it's less about how clean it actually is VS the psychological thought of what the toilet is used for. I'm not too scared of germs myself and have learned from my visits to the hospital (I have a heart condition) that I can't live in a bubble.

It's just the very nature of what a toilet is that makes me unwilling to bother with anything that would accidentally fall in there. Luckily I haven't had a phone eaten up there yet(and I hope I didn't jinx myself)

19. scrumpyjack macrumors member

scrumpyjack

You're getting some signs of life so all hope isn't lost. Is it worth the cost to repair for an older phone is the question.

20. borgsauce macrumors regular

borgsauce

I do hope the OP plans on disposing that rice after the futile attempt

21. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Rice is a poor desiccant...not that it matters in this case.

22. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I wonder why it's always highly recommended for this exact purpose then.

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

It's better than nothing essentially, although there are certainly better things out there, just typically not ones that most people have or would really bother with in most cases.

24. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I see. So essentially it's simply that it's more widely available and most people already have it in their homes. That makes sense. You'd need to get something in haste when trying to dry out electronics.