Wet screen?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by elpe, Oct 10, 2009.

1. elpe macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I was out one night and I left my macbook below a window during a rainstorm.
    When i came back the screen had a strange "stain" like spot on the right down corner of the screen.

It brightens up the screen but doesn't affect the system.

Can anyone tell me what this is or what to do?

Thanks!

UPDATE 15-10:

Just want to say that the spot has almost disappeared, it has taken a few days.

I haven't done anything special, just kept using it and left it open as much as possible.

UPDATE JAN 2010:

The spot hasn't disappeared completely, but it's so small it's hardly noticeable.

Attached Files:

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

I can't tell from the picture--is this one of the unibody MacBooks, or a plastic-cased one? If it's an aluminum one, then it's likely you got some water between the glass and the LCD panel itself. On iMacs the glass is just held on by magnets, but I'm not sure if it's removable at all on a laptop.

Your best bet may be to just let it sit somewhere very dry and hope the water evaporates. That or take it to an Apple store and see if there's anything they can do.

3. HBOC macrumors 68020

condensation build up is what it looks like... Maybe turn off the MB for a day or something and see if it goes away.. I haven't seen that before...

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Definitely water damage. I see it all the time on computers in certain work areas at work (humid areas).

You MAY be able to fix it but its unlikely. Turn on the oven, put a towel on top of it and place your computer on the towel. The computer needs to get warm so leave the oven on for awhile (DONT put the computer in the oven, only on a towel on top of the warm oven).

You should probably leave the screen upright. The idea is to get the water to evaporate out.

5. elpe thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a macbook white 13", plastic casing.

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Power down the system, stick the whole machine into a warm airing cupboard for a couple of days, alternatively use a hair-dryer with a warm setting (you wanna encourage the water vapour to vanish) but don't point it at the TFT!! You'll damage it. :eek: