Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

55test55

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Which is better? I've never used wet but have felt a wet applied one before--it felt really sticky, which i did not seem to like. Thanks!

Cojm

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2014
Back in my retail days there was a kiosk that wet installed screen protectors, on one occasion I had to speak with the CEO of the screenprotector company after his employee liquid damaged a brand new 16gb 5s. At the time we only had the 64gb model in stock, so the customer got an upgrade.

darkonex

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
Definitely DO use a screen protector, they will scratch and better than having to bother using Applecare+ (some of us more so as everybody isn't so lucky to have an Apple store anywhere around us). As for which kind you will get varied opinions. I have almost always used dry ones and I'm very good at putting them on, don't do anything special I just make sure to put them on the device right out of the box so the screen is already clean, or clean it real good if it's not new and make sure no dust/lint is on then quickly do it before letting it get dust/lint on it. I've tried a Zagg wet apply on an iPhone years ago and destroyed it horribly, ended up returning for refund. Later I got a Skinomi wet apply that's currently on my iPad Mini, it works but it has some wierd texture and odd spots on it that cause a rainbow effect and even a little scratch out of the box which is something I've never had happen with a dry apply, so I stick with those from now on.

Whtchdr

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2013
Dry is the best. Wet typically is more bubble free, but harder to install by a good margin. Also, always go for as high of a quality as you can afford. They tend to be much easier to install and last longer. Tech Armor makes some great tempered glass options that only cost about $10.

liteshow

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
Which is better? I've never used wet but have felt a wet applied one before--it felt really sticky, which i did not seem to like. Thanks!

Forget those plastic screen protector wet or dry. Instead, use the tampered glass screen protectors. They are not only dry, but leave no bubbles when applying. Feels just like your glass screen - because it IS glass.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
With both wet and dry, the material they use is really the determining factor for me. I will say some of the wet protectors have a rubbering feel I dislike. Your finger doesn't glide over the screen, it's gets caught and sticks.

Glass protectors are really the best, but with the 6/6+ curved display there are non out right not that cover the entire screen-it's too costly to create a curved glass protector. I have one that covers the lcd area and a bit more on top and bottom. It feels just like just like the iPhones glass screen.

darkonex

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
Forget those plastic screen protector wet or dry. Instead, use the tampered glass screen protectors. They are not only dry, but leave no bubbles when applying. Feels just like your glass screen - because it IS glass.

Well ya I was gonna say those too but they really are dry apply so I include those in that category. I do have a couple of those Xtremeguard glass ones coming for $10 shipped, first time trying those can't wait!

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Dry is the best. Wet typically is more bubble free, but harder to install by a good margin.

Dry is definitely the way to go for a screen. My current favorite brand is Green Onions Supply. Used to be SPIGEN but they got too expensive relative to good alternatives.

I'll have to respectfully disagree about wet being "more bubble free". While small bubbles will evaporate through the wet-apply film, dry-apply protectors are 100% bubble free unless you bought some ultra-cheap piece of cr@p or fubared the install (dusty environment, creased the protector, etc.)

The wet-apply films are great for the backs of stuff, I've long used those for the backs of ipads and such. Keeps them scratch free and gives a bit more grippiness. Probably be worthwhile on the back of an iphone6 if you didn't want to use a case.

liteshow

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
Well ya I was gonna say those too but they really are dry apply so I include those in that category. I do have a couple of those Xtremeguard glass ones coming for $10 shipped, first time trying those can't wait!

So long as it is tempered glass, I am very sure you will like them. They are so easy to apply too.

I get mine off ebay sellers. The tempered glass protectors come in 0.4, 0.3 and 0.2 mm. Had used the older 0.4mm on my old 4s and found it a little too thick. I have used both the 0.3 mm & 0.2 mm on my 5s and they both feel right. The 0.2mm ones do cost a little more. Recently ordered a 0.3 mm for my ipad air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.