Wether you like or not.....

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MorzillA, Jun 30, 2008.

1. MorzillA macrumors 6502

MorzillA

Just heard on NPR that windows will stop shipping out Windows XP to stores to boost up the sales for Vista. according to Lance Ulanoff, MS promised too much and under delivered, (the complete difference from Apple!). Not going into the details of why Vista sucks, but I will tell you that MS will sell out all shelved OS in stores, so buy now! System manufactures will still be selling XP systems till the end of this year, may be lil later.
    So far MS has promised that there is extended suport for XP but it will "start to turn away from this operating system and so will manufacturers. Whitch means that when you buy new stuff you may no longer find XP drivers."-L.A.
    So now, what does this mean for us?! "this is prime time for Apple...", "...a lot of users are making [switching] that choice.."-L.A.

Ok, I can see how to some of us would make us happy, but as long as I get the same performance as I have from both my G4 and Mini Let that gates be opened and show the world that it was a Mac that introduced the windows operating system to the world! but that's for another post.

Also what does this mean for us who run XP on bootcamp?? Will we be forced to "switch" to Vista?!
    Lance also noted that the more people have macs that there is a "threat" of spyware and maleware on OSX.

What is your thought...?

:apple:

2. bamaworks macrumors 6502

I figure it's assumed that the more people use macs the greater the threat for malware / spyware will exist.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Those of us running Windows XP in Boot Camp or virtual machines will be unaffected by this announcement from Microsoft. Our Windows installations will still work. Those of us who want to buy XP for use in a VM or Boot Camp install, however, will be out of luck.

That said, I agree about the switching - this will convince some Windows users to make the leap.

This is true, to some extent - however, Windows is, and will continue to be plagued by poor design decisions made in its early days. For example, Windows networking support is basically a bolt-on addition, and doesn't integrate well with the Windows security model. This design flaw is what leaves Windows wide open to a wide variety of remotely exploitable attacks. These same vulnerabilities may exist in Mac OS X and Linux, but they're usually only exploitable with physical access to the machine.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Why? Apple provides the drivers. They wrote most of them themselves.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I'm not talking about the drivers here. You're correct in that those are a non-issue. It's acquiring the actual operating system they run on that will be difficult, if not impossible.

6. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

It's kind of hard to use the drivers on an OS you can't buy any more. (Assuming you don't already have XP, but if you did then why would you be buying it?)

You left out "legally" before acquiring :D

7. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

Most of the Boot Camp drivers are repackaged third party drivers.

8. MorzillA thread starter macrumors 6502

MorzillA

So this means that there should really be no worries then, since we have XP already....right?!

9. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Good.

I still can't believe people still keep their grudges. XP is a dinosaur of an OS that was built for Pentium 4's and similar hardware.

10. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

I know for me, I didn't upgrade to Vista because I didn't want to spend money on it. I really see no reason to, there aren't any new features I want, and I don't need to use any new software that requires Vista.

In the past, I always bought new MS OSs the week they came out. This may be because I'm a Mac user now, but, even so, I'm still a nerd, and still want the latest and greatest.

Who knows, if I had a higher paying job, I may have bought it. I mainly use Windows to watch Netflix movies, but, it would be nice to play around with.

11. MorzillA thread starter macrumors 6502

MorzillA

I totally agree with you on that, and I have the "basic" edition!! I'm runin XP and have nooooo issues so far, except that after I installed a game, it didn't want to run. But I have compensated with Combat Arms :D

12. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

I remember having a hard time giving up 2k when xp first came out (mainly because none of my progs/games worked on it) after xp sp1 came out, I was in love w/ xp. xp is still really good to me...its going to take a hell of a lot to get me using vista haha

13. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Fair enough. Nothing wrong with that. What confuses me is when people don't buy it or when they do they don't go for the 64-bit version (assuming their comp. can utilize 64-bit). But yeah, upgrading just for the sake of upgrading is pretty silly.

14. ckurowic macrumors regular

ckurowic

That is a dumb argument, sorry. You ASSume that Windows and Mac OS are built exactly the same, therefore increased market-share equals more viruses. Where is your logic?

15. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Um no one is saying Mac OS and Windows are built the same. However more market share will lead to more people seeing an opportunity in creating viruses for the Mac. It's just simple logic.

16. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

You don't need to upgrade to vista anytime soon, it is just that whoever hasn't bought XP (legally) is out of luck and unable to buy XP. Support for XP does not end until 201x?

17. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

I think a lot of people know about Apple, Macs, and their ability to not need anti-virus software. Regardless of their marketshare, people know about them, and you know all those l337 geeks have either tried or are trying to make a virus for it, just so they can put it in their signatures on the interweb forums. I don't think an increase in maketshare will have any affect on the virus world of Macs.

18. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

As for finding new drivers for yet unmade hardware XP users should still find drivers for most any hardware for years to come. A lot of hardware still supports 98SE and ME. Nearly anything that supports XP also supports 2000 so I doubt XP support will end anytime soon.

As for new Apple products that support may end quicker. I just think this because looking at the Mac OS they only seem to like new hardware to support new OSes. Though with Windows they may not care as much unless they do not feel like spending the extra money for XP drivers.

For three reasons I can think of.
    1. Most people have no clue as to what 64bit means.
    2. Many OS integrated programs do not work. ie third party firewalls (Zonealarm:mad:) though some of the big name garbage works now (Norton)
    3. Lack of driver support or only first version drivers that are not as aggressively updated as their 32bit counterparts.

Personally my gaming rig currently runs XP when I build a new one it will use Vista 64bit and XP in dual boot. I will keep XP for direct X 9 and older games. Especially given the problems people have running Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic in Vista.

On a side note when will KOTOR 3 finally come out?

19. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Haha, ZoneAlarm? Norton? Older games not working under Vista 64 will be the least of your problems if you're running Norton (although a majority of older games will still work with Vista 64).

20. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Which is why Norton is garbage. Zonealarm personal firewall is great though I just wish they would make it work in 64bit Vista. Though many old games do work with Vista many have new bugs due to changes in Vista and many do not work.

I wonder if Star Trek 25th Anniversary will play in Vista:rolleyes:

21. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Yeah, it's pretty stupid they don't have a 64-bit version yet. I'm still bitter about MacDrive only being 32-bit. I mean it's been, what, 3 years since Vista was released?

22. MorzillA thread starter macrumors 6502

MorzillA

I never said that Macs and PC are built the same, there is a BIG difference and frankly is dam noticeable! I did'nt ASSume neither, "It is assumed...." there is also a big difference between I and It's.

regardless, of market-share and the history that Apple has there is no possible way that ubber nerds are going to stop making viruses for PC and concentrate on Macs just cuz MS is moving from XP to VISTA. This is prime meat for them, while vista is still working on the same bugs, ubber nerds are just waiting for more people to switch from XP to VISTA just to rip a new one!!

and that's why I stay with my Macs!!