Wetshaving ... who takes their time to do it right?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by r.j.s, May 7, 2011.

?

What do you use?

1. Huh? Wetshaving?

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  2. Cartridge razor

21 vote(s)
    61.8%
  3. Double-edge safety razor

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  4. Old-school: I use a straight

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Who all takes their time to get a proper shave, and what are your favorite products?

My favorite razor right now is a pre-1950s Gillette Tech.

Waiting on some TOBS Lime cream right now.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I use to use shaving oil but I can't find it anymore. I loathe having to use the electric shaver when I'm in a hurry. Razors are just so much better. I always have a stypic pencil handy, just in case.

3. r.j.s thread starter Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I've never used a stypic pencil, although, I do have a scar from my experiment with a straight. :eek:

4. NeoMac macrumors regular

NeoMac

I've never used a straight razor, I would like to try some day. I currently use products from the art of shaving. I think they are good quality products.

Here is what I currently use:

Art of shaving Crome power razor and matching brush.
    Sandalwood Pre shave oil, shaving cream, and after shave balm.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Skin like a baby's behind and hair like steel wire = well worn stypic pencils. ;)

6. r.j.s thread starter Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You have to have steady hands and a real light touch. You also have to pay attention to the blade at all times, one lapse in attention and you end up with a nice scar.

7. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

What's being shaved has a big impact on what is used to shave. Especially if you're hardcore and use a straight-blade... Wow, that just scares me to death...

Facial hair - was perfectly content with electric, but I had trouble managing one when not shaving entire face. That, and its faster (for me) than electric, less time spent staring at my ugly mug in the mirror every morning - the better!

8. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

I found it easier to grow a beard than to take to the time to "do it right".

9. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I can't sleep with a beard, every time I move it sounds like I'm being thrust into a box of brillo-pads.

10. TSE macrumors 68030

I use a Merkur 180 classic double edge safety razor and Proraso Menthol Shaving soap with DERBY blades.

I am 17 and have had friends over asking me why the hell I take my time doing that when I could just use an electric razor and be done in the morning in 2 minutes... they don't know the feeling of rubbing your face after a good shave... the great menthol feeling, and not having to shave everyday but every other day.

Besides when I am tired and am not actively using my mind to shave and I get razor burn, I love it!

11. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Electric razor no way. I currently use a triple blade. I would love to find some good cream and a good brush to put it on with. Any suggestions from this group?

12. r.j.s thread starter Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

There are so many good creams. Taylor of Old Bond Street makes some really good ones, so does DR Harris. They are kinda expensive, but a tub will last a very long time.

Omega makes decent yet inexpensive badger brushes.

13. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

I shave with a Wilkinson quattro titanium cartridge razor, and I always shave against the grain to get as smooth a shave as possible.

I use tea tree oil face wash which has been worked up to a rich lather.