Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

domcole

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2008
Hi everyone.

I've heard quite a few people comment on the white backing being better because in most lights it hides the fingerprint smudges better than the black one does.

1/ Do you're fingerprints wipe off easily on the iPhone?

2/ Does it scratch easily?

3/ I really am looking forward to the new line of cases Incase are bringing out, the 'slider' for the first generation iPhone was pretty good I heard, does anyone know when the new line is out?

Any help would be appreciated

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Hi everyone.

I've heard quite a few people comment on the white backing being better because in most lights it hides the fingerprint smudges better than the black one does.

1/ Do you're fingerprints wipe off easily on the iPhone?

2/ Does it scratch easily?

3/ I really am looking forward to the new line of cases Incase are bringing out, the 'slider' for the first generation iPhone was pretty good I heard, does anyone know when the new line is out?

Any help would be appreciated

The black back seems to pull fingerprints from thin air! It is incredibly prone to picking up finger marks and almost as soon as you pick it up, it's covered in marks.
I've not noticed any scratches but I've been very, very careful with it.
The marks do wipe off quite easily except for the new marks you put on it when you hold it to clean the original ones off!

I've never bothered with cases before but it was driving me up the wall so I bought a Griffin Elan Form case which is fantastic (see this thread for some more info and pics)

BobboZR2

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2008
It almost seems as if the back plastic is covered in clear coat. As one poster described, it seems to be made of the same plastic as the home button and feels the same way.

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
The black is horrible with fingerprints. I'm very careful, clean hands, etc. but there's just no hope. You could wash your hands, dry them with a lint free cloth, and carefully hold the phone and it would look just as if you got up from the table at grandma's house after eating greasy fried chicken and rubbed your hands on the back of the phone. No winning here. I probably just should have gotten the white!

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
SMUDGE MAGNET

but it wipes off easily.

cant say too much about the durability about the back though. i keep it on that little cloth they give you while its sitting on my desk. any other time i have it in my holster which has velvet lining

zainjetha

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
OMG, you should see the display black models covered in fingerprints. Im going white for sure.

Amblinman

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2007
To each his own and all of that but I never understood the obsession with fingerprint smudges. I just don't care. It's a phone, I'm supposed to hold it, not stare at the back of it. Besides, I like the way the new backs look and I'm not going to cover it with some ugly shell.

Jshwon

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
finger prints are in abundance but wipe away nicely. I think the plastic back will be more durable than the first gen phone. To me it seems to be made of the same plastic of the mighty mouse. And that dosent scratch at all.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
Are you guys eating chips, then using the phone?

Joking. But seriously, I don't have that bad a problem with finger prints on my black phone. I'm sure everyone produces different amounts of skin oils. I mean yes I can see finger prints, but one swipe down the phone with my hand and it looks good to go. Not to mention, now my case is in a silicon case so now I can eat chips and use my phone.

:)

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
finger prints are in abundance but wipe away nicely. I think the plastic back will be more durable than the first gen phone. To me it seems to be made of the same plastic of the mighty mouse. And that dosent scratch at all.

I hear you, but I don't think that comparison is fair. That finish on your mouse is always "face up" and it touched only by your skin. A phone can go in pockets with other things, be set "finish side down" on tables, etc and at the very least, be slid repeatedly in and out of a carrying case of some type. Much greater chance to come in contact with abrasive surfaces than the mouse.

heyp

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2008
i ordered the black from att but after seeing the white one at apple, i'm having second thoughts... you don't really see the smudges on the white like the black... if only they would have just put a matte finish on it, oh well

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
Got the 16gig black, as everyone has already mentioned fingerprints all over the screen. I liked it a lot more than the white.

LOL, you think the one with the white back will show less fingerprints on the screen?

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
A matte finish on it... Ever seen a black MacBook? I had one and it had a matte finish on it and let me tell you, even worse fingerprint/grease magnet.

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
A matte finish on it... Ever seen a black MacBook? I had one and it had a matte finish on it and let me tell you, even worse fingerprint/grease magnet.

Surely it depends.
None of my black matte stuff show any fingerprints at all. Samsung phone(s), Socket Mobile PDA, different card readers, Senny HD25-1s, and so on – no fingerprints.

On the other hand, my red Tivoli Audio "Songbook" is a bitch when it comes to fingerprints: It's all over the place –*but then again, it's the same rubbery covering as the one on the blackbook.

Sphyrna

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
Eh, I don't think the black looks so bad. Yea it gets smudged easily, but I found unless I'm holding it in just the right light they aren't really noticeable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.