We've seen this all before...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VirtualRain, Nov 8, 2016.

1. VirtualRain, Nov 8, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2016

VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Just a few years ago, I purchased a Mac Pro and MacBook Pro with ports designed for the future... Thunderbold/MDP ports that could carry PCIe data or display port over a single connection. There was even a TB Display with built in dock to make connectivity convenient and cheap ubiquitous TB peripherals were just around the corner. I was set for the future of computing. (Sound familiar?)

Fast forward to now, and while I can't even replace my Mac Pro, my new MacBook Pro has ports for the future... AGAIN! Do any of the cables and peripherals of the future I had to buy the last time around, work with this new computer? No!

Don't be fooled. There is nothing future proof about USB-C and TB3. By the time you go to buy your next computer a few years from now, they too will likely be obsolete, and there will be a whole new cycle of buying new dongles, cables, and peripherals all over again.

The corollary to this sad tale is that Thunderbolt was DOA. It has never taken off. Never will. Thankfully this new system utilizes USB because that doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

2. arbitrage macrumors 6502a

That could be true, but unlike last time with TB, many PC makers and phone makers are already adopting USB-C ahead of Apple. Therefore I think there is a better chance this time around that this new standard will be more universal and last longer as the best connection available. Obviously eventually the dongle makers will pressure the industry for another change or they will go out of business...LOL

3. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

I bought the first laptop that has thunderbolt and 5.5 years later I still have never used it... (other than as a mini display port)

4. VirtualRain thread starter macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Maybe, but ultimately Apple won't rest until there are no ports. Wireless everything. Next time you'll be buying wireless chargers, wireless displays, etc. :D

Seriously, I hope that USB-C is future proof, but I wonder if that's just nonsense.

5. wegster macrumors 6502

The original TB (and TB2) ports were effectively proprietary as well as to some extent, 'competing' with USB. It was also relatively expensive.

This was a smart move using the USB-C port to cover multiple protocols from USB-<latest> as well as TB, as the port will both see expanded adoption, and most things will/should at least be able to fall back to a 'workable' mode...there is some cable madness to a point, as a non-TB cable won't be able to do TB3, but a TB3 cable will be able to 'fall back' to USB if it's connected to a non-TB USB-C/USB device.

Of course, it would be great if we wind up seeing all cables become TB3 + power capable, but that one may take a bit to settle out.

I have used the TB1 and TB2 ports, although sometimes solely as an adapter to HDMI or DP, but also to TB displays..while wishing TB storage and a few other things had become more prevalent. I think there's a chance this time, but if not, we've still got a bunch of USB(-C) ports able to convert to HDMI, DP, and various USB protocol devices.

6. PaulWog Suspended

If I do purchase a Macbook Pro within the next 365 days, I will be carrying around a USB-C to USB adapter for sure.

I would've loved to see them keep Magsafe, and one USB port on the new Macbook Pros (to ease the transition & to retain magsafe which idk why they got rid of it). Card readers, HDMI out, and all that stuff, is understandably gone. When you're working with a camera you're carrying around converters and this and that anyways. But USB is the kind of thing you don't always know you need, and when you need it you need it.

Thing is, my next portable storage device is going to be USB-C, but I will *NEED* it to be compatible with a USB adapter.