Whale Save Drowning Diver

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by ucfgrad93, Jul 29, 2009.

1. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Wow, an amazing story.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,535263,00.html

2. wfoster macrumors 6502a

wfoster

Wow - that really is amazing. Thank you for finding the article.

3. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I wonder how it knew she needed assistance. Smart whale!

4. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Whales and dolphins are so smart. My family went to SeaWorld a few weeks ago when the in-laws were in town and they were amazing to watch. The best part was when we went to the dolphin feeding pool for the kids. My wife was at the edge shooting video of the kids feeding the animals. This dolphin comes up and she doesn't see it. It follows her every move, I'm assuming because it thought she had fish. Well, after a minute the dolphin realizes she doesn't have any fish. I literally watched the animal make a face of frustration, duck under the water, come back up, and purposefully spray/spit water all over her then turn and swim away. :eek: It was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. She never saw it coming. :D

5. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Aww, haha, dolphins are such crafty little buggers. I thought dolphins were smarter than whales though.

I remember on one episode of MythBusters, they were testing to see if the prescence of dolphins actually stops sharks from attacking their prey.

They baited great white sharks with a seal-shaped lure, and within five seconds, a great white shark devoured it.

Then they put in a animatronic replica of a dolphin with the lure, and for some reason, the sharks backed off and stayed a safe distance away from the lure.

Then they replaced the seal bait with actual bait, and the results were the same, the sharks backed off.

Go dolphins :)

6. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Amazing story, yes. But a situation that should never have happened. This was a free diving contest at an aquarium? What where the safety divers doing? Picking their noses? Cold water diving is not something to be taken lightly. I know. I dive Lake Michigan in the early Spring a couple times a year.

7. Keebler macrumors 68030

that's awesome. you need to post video of that! :)