What 2012 iMac specs do we expect ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by artivideo.nl, Aug 26, 2012.

1. artivideo.nl macrumors 6502

What can I expect compared to the present iMacs ? At the moment I have an old 24" iMac C2D which I use for heavy video editing using FCS. Rendering times are very very long sometimes over 12 hours. Is there a chance we will have an octa core in the new iMac ?

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

ANYTHING quoted on this forum is 100% speculation and guesses, it should all be taken for entertainment value only. You will have to wait until Apple announces a new iMac before you will know for sure.

3. beosound3200 macrumors 6502a

there is absolutely no need for overly pessimistic answers unless your kid died this morning
    following your logic i should cancel everything tomorrow because im not sure will i even wake up
    'natural flow of things' + reasoning result in the following:

top end imac 27'
    intel i7-3770
    nvidia gtx 680m
    4gb ram
    1tb hdd
    4x usb 3
    bluetooth 4.0

no chance for octacore, the best one will be i7-3770 3.4ghz as a bto option (+200 USD)

this is the bare minimum they will do.

also a possibility (considering they are taking their time with this refresh):
    imac taking cues from retina macbook pro:
    redesigned display construction (no cover glass, 75% less reflections, resolved smudges issue, couple of rumors support this)
    msata ssds (500mb/s, lower prices, 256gb standard, 512gb on top end)
    8gb ram standard
    asymmetric fans
    removal of odd
    etc.

4. WesCole macrumors 6502a

I really hope they include a 128GB SSD plus 1TB HDD in the base models. It seems they are trying to use flash memory in all their new computers, so it would fit the current trend.

5. HurryKayne macrumors 6502a

I expect it to have just one feature,
    to be for real in AppleStore this year.

6. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

Sorry to break it to you, son, but some of us don't expect a 2012 iMac at all.

7. Mister Bumbo macrumors 6502

I've seen you post about this surely over 30 times in numerous threads (several times in a very demeaning manner, might I add), together with your views of the Air being the new consumer flagship product, the way to go and the new iMac replacement. We get it. Your message is received. Now could you PLEASE refrain from posting about this every chance you get in threads where you might think it's relevant, but actually only pisses people off and brings the discussion at hand off-topic? Thank you.

8. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

And there must be over 30 threads on the same tedious topic of the non-existent 2012 iMac. If you want to spend another six months on Fantasy Island, son, that's up to you. What's blindlingly obvious is that the vast majority of Mac buyers aren't joining you.

9. Lancer, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012

Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

Personally I hope the 27" gets 8Gb RAM, i7 CPU, better Video and 2Tb HDD as standard, plus USB3 of course. Matte screen would be a nice option as would cheaper 512Gb SSD upgrades.

10. Mister Bumbo macrumors 6502

It's also blindingly obvious is that you can't conduct normal discussion without being rude, son. Besides: If your views are that iMacs are dead, and you're in love with your MacBook Air now, why are you still posting in most threads on the iMac forum? Seems stupid to waste energy and button presses on your precious Air to just spread what, on this section of the forum, is pure pessimism.

11. washburn macrumors 6502

I think at this point its well worth waiting for the new iMac..

personally I think we will see a redesign, but there could be so much more:

improved/tweaked logic board that makes things way more faster so speed imrovements not just from CPU.
    new CPU
    new GPU
    better inbuilt speakers
    better screen AH-IPS or IGZO
    better configuration options with SSD etc
    awesome new design
    new keyboard

12. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

Depends what you need and if you can wait another 6-12 months.

If we get an update in Oct then we could get an all new model in April 2013. Back when they introduced the current 21.5"/27" iMac's it was just 6 months after the 20" was last refreshed.

13. HurryKayne macrumors 6502a

Ivy Bridge,680m/7970m,Usb3
    and some features like TO BE HERE,SOON,FOR REAL,BEFORE WINTER.
    Don't wanna be forced to buy a MacbookPro 2012,but i will instead of
    having old (but i agree ..still valuable except its price)2011 Imac on my desk.

14. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Not at all a pessimistic answer, it's the truth. Face it no one but Apple knows for sure what specifications will be coming on future Macs of any kind. Therefore any speculation on this (or any other web site) is strictly that speculation and by definition speculation often times is not accurate.

15. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

When someone asks a speculative question about the 2012 iMac, it would be nice if we could assume the 2012 iMac will in fact exist so that we could talk about the thread topic, rather than rehashing the same "will it or won't it" discussion in every thread.

Granted, this thread probably didn't need to exist anyway. But in this forum, Godwin's law seems to have been revised to "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a denial of the future existence of a 2012 iMac approaches 1."

16. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

OH really ???

17. washburn macrumors 6502

I think an update would have happened long time ago (not that hard to stick Ivy Bridge in the current machine) next is a new redesign

18. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Totally off-the-wall thought:

Could the "new version" of the iMac in fact be the upcoming "Apple TV" (a -real- tv with a screen, not a "black box")?

Could it be a "Mac" that incorporates a tv tuner and "internet tv" apps, all combined into a single, integrated unit?

A few companies (like Samsung) already sell 27" LCD displays with a built-in tv tuner. I don't see it being much of a "leap" for Apple to integrate a tv tuner into their iMac lineup....

19. Lancer, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012

Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

I agree, it could have happened back in June with the MBP.

I'm thinking this more and more every time a 'deadline' is missed. For me the only downside is we might loose the DVD, but I can live with that. Upside we could get an all new iMac with shinny, sorry Matte screen, much better spec and cheaper.

Personally I don't think the Apple TV will be the next AIO Mac, most people at an office desk don't want to sit in front of a 32" LCD. If we get the rumored Apple TV it will be a separate line but personal I don't see how it will be any more functional than getting a Mini and hooking it up to a Full HD TV right now?

20. Mike Valmike macrumors 6502a

We can only speculate, but in all likelihood based on what little we know so far:

Ivy Bridge i7 quad-core CPU
    SSD primary storage possibly expandable with additional hdd but possibly not
    8GB DDR-1600 RAM expandable to 32gb/64gb
    Some sort of anti-reflective front panel
    NVidia GTX-680 GPU
    TB, USB3, and no FW800 ports
    802.11ac or n and gigabit networking

I'm with Seamaster however in that I currently doubt there will be an Ivy Bridge iMac and instead I expect Apple to skip straight to Haswell next summer. I expect this because it is not what I want, and therefore it is what will surely happen. (shrug)

21. artivideo.nl thread starter macrumors 6502

hmm i hope they still will include FW800 or is USB3 also compatible with my HD with FW800 connection ?

22. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

You would most likely need a Tbolt-FW adapter.