What 3.0 features would benefit 1st gen touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by CactusChef, Jun 9, 2009.

1. CactusChef macrumors member

I'm just wondering if it would be beneficial to upgrade to 3.0 my 1st generation touch, but what "beneficial/other features" would I actually be getting. I already have 2.0 install so what features would really benefit the 1st gen; all I can think of are the folllowing (which to me isn't worth upgrading).

Copy/paste
    Landscape keyboard
    Spotlight searching
    Shake to shuffle

Is there any other features that would be added and/or more beneficial for the 1st gen that would be worth paying the $10 for (yeah, its $10... but I think somewhat of a steep to pay for something that should be free for touch users... (makes me sick to know we get left in the dust paying for these updates every so often; definitely no reason for it).

Sorry if this has already been asked (can't find it even with a search).

2. ukitali macrumors newbie

yah, I'm also trying to see the benefit of upgrading to 3.0 software. Most of the features are more relevent to the iphone. The new features don't seem to be worth $10 for the Touch.

3. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

All the new apps that are going to come out. Alot are going to be 3.0 only, i'm sure.

4. zachkowalchuk macrumors member

I'm going to be paying pretty much just for the landscape keyboard in all the main apps.

But it's only $10, not like it's like $100. I don't see why someone wouldn't pay for the upgrade. Plus, new app's are probably going to be 3.0 only

5. P140897 macrumors member

and push notification service

6. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

It's not just one lot of $10 though for touch owners. It's $10 each significant update. Early adopters would be approaching an additional 10% of their initial purchase depending on capacity.

Not that I mind as I'm grateful to be at least given the option to add new features to my device that weren't there when I happily purchased it. But apple sure knows how to continue to fleece for $$$. Also see: method of charging people to use iphone 3.0 beta software :D.

7. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

I suppose if there are any 3.0 apps that I want (and that work with a v1 touch), I'll upgrade. But I don't think I'll upgrade right away.

8. DHarrisDBS34 macrumors regular

At this point apps are going to start being available only to people with a certain firmware update it looks like. There are API's in the games and such that are only available in 3.0 that the 1G will be able to use. We may even get to a point now where the hardware isn't capable of running certain apps.

I think you'll see articles around that tell you what you will and won't get. I think this one will be worth it. You will also be able to use devices connected through the 30-pin connector. Beyond this one it may not be worht it.

9. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

the ability to buy TV Shows and Movies from the touch is one.

10. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

street view in maps and the ability to change transportation methods

Attached Files:

11. laserfox macrumors 6502

laserfox

just installed the 3.0 on my ipod touch. After initially paying to get the first update, I refuse to continue paying so that I could BUY apps that are only 3.0 supported. Ugh.

12. ajbart macrumors newbie

I've had a 1st gen touch for a few years now and really think it's still such a great piece of hardware. Having a fairly constant wireless connection between university (it's on pretty much all over campus) and home, I'm not really limited by the lack of 3G, which for me would have been the only reason to fork out for an iphone.. Using apps like beejive and facebook, the push notification capability should really help out.
    Beyond copy and paste, and landscape, there aren't too many other significant changes, but personally, being able to type faster in lectures with landscape notes, then having the option to sync those notes with my mac (presumably via mail notes I think?) will be a big help.

13. dark-saito macrumors regular

Excuse my lack of knowledge...

...but would 3.0 slow down a 1st gen iPod Touch? Not sure how/if it would slow it down, but I've been worrying about that ever since I've been paying attention to specs and how slow and outdated my ONE YEAR OLD IPOD (It's practically a sin)

14. MD5Hash macrumors member

MD5Hash

Hey fellow 1G touch ladies and gents...

if anyone of you took the plunge, how is your wifi working? I just purchased and downloaded 3.0 but have not yet updated my iPod.

I just read this and am now feeling a little more worried about taking the plunge. Sounds like apple's Grade-F product testing strikes again, which I remember from countless hours replacing Macbook palm rests in our repair shop. Sigh.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/ipod-touch-1g-2g-users-3.0-wi-fi-drops-failures/

15. WLS macrumors 65816

I was worried to from some reports but I just did it and had no problems whatsoever. That surprised me as on the last two updates it just hung for hours. This time it updated cleanly in a half hour so they are doing something right. I did it for the browser updates mostly, and don't regret it.

16. silentnite macrumors 6502a

silentnite

The way I look at it, is this, by upgrading you will be breathing some life back into something you love so dear. Also all your apps old & new will respond better with 3.0, The saying goes keep up with the pack or get left behind.

17. ajbart macrumors newbie

Great point. I've been a massive fan of my 1G touch since i got it. I have a cheap handset and good pay monthly deal, and alongside the touch, the two work well together.

Having 3.0 has made a big difference, everything seems snappier and notes sync and push are great features (esp when beejive finally arrives). The look and feel has been improved and at the end of the day it's only £5.99. I'm aware that this has to be paid every time an update is out, but it's once a year at best. If my touch continues to function next year, i'd expect i'll be paying it again come 4.0, should it still be compatible! Here's hoping, long live the first gen!

18. Lara F macrumors 6502a

No wifi issues that I can tell on my first gen Touch, I have full signal. That said I'm in a one bedroom apartment.

It's still going strong. Having no speakers annoys me, but I like not having to take the same precautions as my iPhone. :)

19. JAT macrumors 603

Impressive. Must be a pre-pre-pre-production unit.

No wifi problems here. $10 is worth it just for copy-paste to me. I will have use for that almost daily. Oh, I have a 1G 16GB.

20. Gyrferret macrumors regular

Gyrferret

Some of us have exceeded that:
    January Software upgrade: $20
    2.0 Update: $10
    3.0 Update: $10
    8GB iPod touch: $300

Total spent on iPod touch to date: $340

21. quicklook2 macrumors 6502

quicklook2

seemed to make my 1st g 16 gig much peppier.

still had to jailbreak for some things that apple does not offer.

22. three macrumors 6502a

three

I've noticed the wifi reception on my iPod touch with 3.0 has been worse than with 2.2.1. I enjoy the landscape keyboards, makes typing much more enjoyable.

23. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

pretty much it besides PUSH notification not much on offer for us 1st geners, oh you can also sign in to youtube app now lol

24. swarmster macrumors 6502a

swarmster

You're forgetting the best feature in 3.0: opening links in a new window in Safari! No more reloading the giant main page of blogs every time you click 'read more' on an article.

25. Moocher macrumors regular

Best feature of 3.0 for 1st gen touch

With 3.0 you can watch live baseball games with mlb.com. It works very well and so far I haven't had any problems with 3.0.

Mooch