What 3rd Party Apps Waste the Most Battery

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Naethyn, May 21, 2010.

1. Naethyn macrumors regular

Naethyn

I was just wondering, since after you jailbreak (or as my friend says "Protective Custody Breach" because jailbreak sounds illegal) your iDevice we can't trust Apples original 24 Hour Music Playback, as well as the 4 hours of video playback, or the 10 hours of web surfing.

What themes wear out the battery in Winterboard, as in what in the themes does the most draining?

What apps even when closed drain the most battery? I understand that if you download a lot of apps from Cydia your battery life goes away?

How can you fix this battery life issue?

What in these apps wears the battery down that fast?

for Example:

MyWi is a wifi hotspot generator, however the signal doesn't go very far and I have been able to get a "Very Low to Limited Connectivity" signal on a laptop from about seven and a half feet away. I have left my iPhone in a "sleep" state on MyWi unplugged and got about two hours and ten minutes out of it before it died, I wasn't using extraneous data (Facebook and MLIA were the only sites I visited in the time) but the I assumed that since the iPhone wasn't built to make the iPhone 3G signal a wifi hotspot that it wears down the battery quicker as does using your own theme as well as using features the iPhone was made incapable of doing.

My main question is how much battery life should I get via Texting?

2. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Well obviously more complicated themes that modify more of the OS will drain more battery. Something like Glasklart which modifies almost every part of the phone will drain more battery than theme that only changes the dock icons. If you really want to get to most battery, uninstall winterboard, this will save you the most battery on a regular basis.

Any games or emulators that come from cydia will also drain the battery fairly quickly, just like games that come from the appstore.

Just try not to have many things running in the background like I have found intelliscreen and other similar apps use a lot of battery power because they are constantly drawing weather data etc.

If you download a lot of apps in cydia, it shouldn't affect your battery life, it is just the ones that run in the background that cause battery drain (winterboard).

if you are ONLY texting, you should probably get 8-10 hours out of the phone, but that is with stock theme and everything else disabled (based on my own experience).

Jailbreaking your phone adds a lot of functionality to your phone, but also has the tradeoff of using more battery on average. If you really need a long battery life, keep the theme stock and try to use the least amount of 3rd party apps as possible (even though this defeats the purpose of having them).

Also just do basic things like keeping 3G and wifi off when they aren't needed, keeping the screen brightness as low as possible, turn off push mail, and turn the auto-lock to a shorter time in order to get longer battery life.

3. Naethyn thread starter macrumors regular

Naethyn

Well I'll give you the basics to what I had:

Winterboard with Kingdom Hearts theme (sounds, icon images, sliders and dock image)

biteSMS - Quick Reply, this runs partially in the background when you replace the SMS button

iProtect

3GUnrestricter, but never really used it

OPENSSH

MyWi, but only used when internet was down

That was about it, but I am assuming that my theme took most of the battery and was wearing the battery down faster then it was charging! That's why in Safe Mood it was charging and when under 20% with the theme on it wouldnt.

4. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Eh, the theme shouldn't be draining that much battery. I've only had that happen when I was USB tethering with MyWi and the battery stayed constant the entire time because it was charging just as fast as it was draining.

I have way more installed/running than you and my battery definitely doesn't drain that fast. I'm not sure what is going on. Maybe someone else can point out other things that could be draining battery.

I've read varying opinions on this, but when i turned off openSSH via the sbsettings toggle, it increased my battery life quite a bit. Some people argue that openssh shouldn't decrease battery life, but it definitely seemed to be doing it for me. Be careful about disabling this though, because if something goes wrong with your phone while it is disabled, you will have no access to your phone.

5. Naethyn thread starter macrumors regular

Naethyn

Currently I am just going to leave it unjailbroken for a while and see what kind of battery life I get if its extremely better, I'll rejailbreak and see what happens.

6. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Yeah its probably a good idea to just test it out unjailbroken in order to get a solid idea of the battery life with regular firmware installed. I would try various things like testing it with 3G/wifi on or off and also when you are using apps from the app store or not, that way you can get a better idea of what kind of battery life you should be getting when using different kinds of apps and connections. Personally, losing some battery life is an ok tradeoff when I can do sooo much more with my jailbroken phone than regular one. For example, I'm posting this while tethering via MyWi while I'm in a very long car ride. This would be extremely boring without my jailbroken iPhone :rolleyes:

7. Naethyn thread starter macrumors regular

Naethyn

So I had it unjailbroken for the night, and I was at a party so I was using it constantly. The camera, Tap Tap Revenge 3, and even more stuff. It died after five hours and twenty three minutes. So I am guessing that something went wrong when I jailbroke it cause things happen and I am going to rejailbreak it and see if my battery life is better then before, but I definitely need to remember to fully charge it! :) Thanks for your help, I'll post my battery life when it dies the next time.