Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Hi,
I’m hunting after a new 4 or 5k display.
The following spec is req;

size; 27-32”
Panel; IPS or nano ips
RGB at least 99%
DCI-P3 at least 95%
Hz; 60hz at least but ofc 144hz is preferred.

I have been looking at the following;

I do have 27” 1440p display today but I want 4k and well 32” is not so bad I guess.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
One word of caution to all

Boy oh boy -- don't spend anytime with a higher refresh rate display
It really ruins 60hz -- even just for desktop stuff

I have to think a "ProMotion" Apple monitor can't be much further off

Reactions: estabya

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
I have the U32U1 32” monitor from AOC.

It has:
100% RGB
98% DCI-P3
60 Hertz
10 Bit panel IPS
HDR

Bought it from Amazon for 799 EUR.
What’s your opinion on AOC’s quality, features? How good is the uniformity, adjustability, etc?

I’ve been considering the following as one of my display upgrade options.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
One word of caution to all

Boy oh boy -- don't spend anytime with a higher refresh rate display
It really ruins 60hz -- even just for desktop stuff

I have to think a "ProMotion" Apple monitor can't be much further off
Ho? I can say that I love 144hz on my 27” 1440p display that I have today.

but as the color are not accurate according to sRGB and AdobeRGB I can’t use it for all and also I want 4K.

then I prioritize 4K with accurate colors over 144hz.

it’s a trad off. And well I know that I can see difference when I’m at work then I can see the difference we have 60hz displays but it’s over within 1h so…

DennisdeWit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2016
The Netherlands
What’s your opinion on AOC’s quality, features? How good is the uniformity, adjustability, etc?

I’ve been considering the following as one of my display upgrade options.
The quality is great. I love the 600 nits brightness of the display. The quality of the design is premium. Colors look great and natural. Much better than my Dell screen, for example.

The on screen settings are somewhat limited and ancient too. Could have been much better. The U32U1 can tilt, flip and pan. So that’s nice.

I wouldn’t choose your display, however. 90% DCI-P3 is quite low. Did you know DCI-P3 is important for a Mac, as it is the default color profile?

macsplusmacs

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2014
I just want a 5K display that matches my imac 5k display in all specs, color and quality not from LG.
Yes. LG makes them for apple, but their stand alone seems to have so many issues.

come on apple. this fall or bust on your own displays!

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
I wouldn’t choose your display, however. 90% DCI-P3 is quite low. Did you know DCI-P3 is important for a Mac, as it is the default color profile?
I was not aware and good to know. What would be your thoughts on this?

LG said:
This color calibrated monitor covers an incredible 95% of the DCI-P3 color space, the current standard utilized by the film industry, assuring an exceptionally wide range of colors.

It was also mentioned in the Mac mini M1compatible monitor list as working fine via HDMI.

My routine uses are the typical Web surfing, email, etc plus software development. So, screen space, text crispness, and indeed color accuracy.

I am still using the monitor that was paired with a 2012 Mac mini. Being a Samsung monitor and at a discount for $170 USD, I figured it would be worth trying a curved display. However, as you can guess at that price it does not have superb specs, but not a bad value either — very little light bleed and good uniformity.

Hi,
I’m hunting after a new 4 or 5k display.
The following spec is req;

size; 27-32”
Panel; IPS or nano ips
RGB at least 99%
DCI-P3 at least 95%
Hz; 60hz at least but ofc 144hz is preferred.

I have been looking at the following;

I do have 27” 1440p display today but I want 4k and well 32” is not so bad I guess.
I recommend the BenQ monitors. www.benq.com 99% RGB. Excellent calibrateable monitor and an excellent value.

Reactions: ader42

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Sincerely, thanks for the info. However...

Foremost, I’m not seeing that model available in the U.S. Second, if the price would be a direct conversion, that’s sitting near the top of what I’d be willing to spend. I’m thinking more in the realm of 549 EUR equivalent or less.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
I considered that model too. But I noticed it might be with BOE panel? Not sure if that is good or bad but I think UltraFine use to come with LG panel.
I have not received it yet. It’s in transit don’t know how I can check the panel but what I can do is that I can take measurements with my colormeter so you can see the color accuracy and if it’s some uneven backlight etc

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
I have not received it yet. It’s in transit don’t know how I can check the panel but what I can do is that I can take measurements with my colormeter so you can see the color accuracy and if it’s some uneven backlight etc
Excellent, please post your measurement with colorimeter and findings about panel uniformity when you have checked it. That monitor is also what I've been considering but I hesitate to get this brand and I've been eyeing for Dell but not sure those are much better in P3 gamut even they advertise 95% P3 seems not many reviews are measuring anywhere near that.
Also what I'm interested in is that which monitor has the best factory calibration.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Excellent, please post your measurement with colorimeter and findings about panel uniformity when you have checked it. That monitor is also what I've been considering but I hesitate to get this brand and I've been eyeing for Dell but not sure those are much better in P3 gamut even they advertise 95% P3 seems not many reviews are measuring anywhere near that.
Also what I'm interested in is that which monitor has the best factory calibration.

i did get notice that I’ll receive it 23 of June so I’ll get back after that with all kind of measurements for you.

I have also been a Dell guy but I think this display will bee really good.

it has even its own software that are showing the LUT (ofc you need to own a spectra or colormeter but still it’s not many that offer this. So basically I can calibrate the display with lgs own software directly in the display and not profile it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.