Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macinsquatch

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2015
I have a 09 Mac Pro upgraded with dual 3.46 hex processors and dual graphics cards. It came with a Radeon 7950 (sapphire) so I have a boot screen and I also have a EVGA GTX 970 SC ATX 2.0 which I plan on putting in the machine as well, powered by a 5.25" PSU. So ideally I should be able to run 3 4K monitors with these cards, 2 from the 970 and one from the 7950. My question is what monitor do you guys recommend? This is a workstation, so no gaming.

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
I'm not sure too many people are going to be able to give you a great recommendation, especially without knowing what you're using your machine for. Do you do image work? You might be interested in an IPS panel monitor instead of a cheaper TN panel. Keep in mind, they get pricey when it comes to IPS panels.

Personally, I use an Acer B286HK, which is a cheaper, TN panel Ultra HD monitor, and I love it. It has a USB 3.0 Hub, height adjust, swivel, tilt, and works wonderfully in OS X, but it has a few trade-offs that might make it less desirable for something as "Workstation Grade" as you might be looking for. For example, my particular monitor has some heavy back light bleed when looking at blacks and dark colours, and the colour accuracy isn't as spot on as the IPS panel I have sitting next to it, but that's why it's sitting there.

In the "Peripherals" section of these forums, there are extensive discussions on 4K and Ultra HD monitors and Macs in general; there might be existing information there to take a peek at. It seems to me though that you have enough graphics horsepower to power 3x4K displays, or whatever you choose to go with.

Hope this helps.
-N

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
I have two Dell P2715Q 27-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor for my Late 2013 Mac Pro. They are great and system preferences has great options for them.

Amazon has them for under $600

kennyman

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2011
US
I have two Dell P2715Q 27-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor for my Late 2013 Mac Pro. They are great and system preferences has great options for them.

Amazon has them for under $600

Yes, same dual monitor on nMP with D300 works great, connect same dual setup on Radeon 280X EFI, the system keeps rebooting, not sure what is going with Dell and cMP 280X

Macinsquatch

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2015
Thanks

Just got my P2715Q, it looks awesome.

Has anyone used a 7950 and newer Nvidia card together? I haven't hooked both up yet and I'm wondering if by switching the driver to the nvidia driver rather than OS X built in if I will see performance issues.

-Edit
Just hooked the 7950 up and all seems well, 5.25" PSU is able to power it nicely. Just ordered the second P2715Q.

Last edited:

Arron Rouse

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2010
Chichester, UK
Just got my P2715Q, it looks awesome.

Has anyone used a 7950 and newer Nvidia card together? I haven't hooked both up yet and I'm wondering if by switching the driver to the nvidia driver rather than OS X built in if I will see performance issues.

-Edit
Just hooked the 7950 up and all seems well, 5.25" PSU is able to power it nicely. Just ordered the second P2715Q.

Sorry that I'm late to this thread as there are a few warnings about the 4,1-7950-P2715Q combo. I'm hoping that your 970 fixes them.

* My 4,1 with 7950 and P2715Q won't boot if the monitor is switched on -- the fix is to wait until 5 seconds after the chime.
* The P2715Q won't wake from sleep once every two weeks or so and needs to be unplugged from mains power to start again.
* Once, after an update, the monitor appeared to be working fine (menus on screen, worked through the HDMI, etc.) but wouldn't work with DisplayPort -- again the fix was a complete mains power shut down.

Even after those problems, I still count it as mostly a good monitor. I love the even lighting and accurate (to my eyes) 10bit colour.

Macinsquatch

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2015
Mine too will not boot with the monitor on for the 7950. Computer sleep still doesn't work because of the aux PSU. I'm hoping that a flash comes out for the 900 series cards so I can get another 970 and ditch the 7950. At this point I don't have my boot screen anyway since I have to power the monitor off.

--Edit

So sleep is now working fine. Just have to turn the power off on the monitor hooked up to the 7950 first. Both are running at 60 hz. Looks like I need a DVI monitor to have the boot screen back. FYI turning on MST on the primary display hooked up to the 970 causes an instant reboot.

Last edited:

Arron Rouse

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2010
Chichester, UK
Mine too will not boot with the monitor on for the 7950. [...] Looks like I need a DVI monitor to have the boot screen back.

I'm tempted to flash from 4,1 to 5,1 to see if that fixes it. There's a small chance it's just the 4,1 BIOS doesn't support 4k with our particular setups.

Has anyone got a 4k monitor working at boot time on a 4,1 with a 7950?

omvs

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
Sorry that I'm late to this thread as there are a few warnings about the 4,1-7950-P2715Q combo. I'm hoping that your 970 fixes them.

* My 4,1 with 7950 and P2715Q won't boot if the monitor is switched on -- the fix is to wait until 5 seconds after the chime. r.

That happened with me when I ran with a 7950 & a Samsung U28D590, even on a 4,1 flashed to a 5,1. Eventually I switched to a GTX680 because of this. The other alternative is to use the PC bios, but you lose the boot screen.

The GTX680 doesn't give a bootscreen on that display etiher, but at least it does on my 27" also connected. Supposedly the MacVidCards 970/980 will give a bootscreen - mine is coming today so I'll find out for sure.

EDIT: Yep, a MVC GTX970 works great w/ bootscreen on the 4k. Glad I can finally do Filevault again with this card.

Last edited:

tadeeb

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2010
on U28D590 they do for sure. checked myself here.

Yes I can confirm when the MacPro goes to sleep (mine is 1,1 -> 2,1) with 7950 and using U28D590. Once I installed 7950, even the boot chime is not there and takes a long time to boot as well.
When this happens, when the MacPro boots I see a popup window saying Your Mac restarted after an Error or something. :mad:

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
EDIT: Yep, a MVC GTX970 works great w/ bootscreen on the 4k. Glad I can finally do Filevault again with this card.

Glad you found this to work.

By the way, this is a first. There are no "officially released" Apple GPUs that allow a 4K bootscreen in a SST 4K. Through the genius of Netkas we now can offer greater functionality than the KEPLER EFI cards. 4K bootscreen and 5K support. (5k requires small hack, but doesn't need dev mode)

Past EFI cards used existing EFIs that carried limitations of original. By creating a custom EFI we were able to add things not in GTX680 and Quadro K5000.

I can't guarantee that this will work on all SST displays as I can't possibly test all of them, but it works on many.

And we have more surprises coming in future. Keep in mind that all of this magic requires NVIDIA to continue writing drivers for cards that Apple has excluded from the OS.

ALWAYS check here or our blog before updating OSX or running a "Security Update"

BTW, I have found conflicting results using 7950/70/R9 280 with SST 4K. As many have noted I usually end up in an EFI boot loop. But it has sometimes NOT done this. Hope to have good news soon on this.

jcxstar13

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
La Crosse, WI
I went back and forth for a while and ended up going with the 32" BenQ. Hands down the best thing I could have done. I am a photographer and working on a 4k display with 100% srgb is amazing. It literally is a whole new feeling looking at and editing on this screen. I have normally alwYs run a dual monitor setup but after I got this its the only one I use. That may change as prices come down I may get another one but I'll need a bigger desk.

Seriously though the screen is amazing and the 32" size is really I think the best size for a 4k monitor. You get so. You get so much more real estate it's actually refreshing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.