Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
Ok so I noticed that Apple is selling Leopard for $9.95 if you bought your computer after Oct. 1. I didnt buy my MacBook because Apple bought it (free). I put in the date I got the computer (August 28). Yes it rejected me, but then I put in Oct. 1st 2007 and it let me order it?? Should I go ahead?

Trepex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
Ok so I noticed that Apple is selling Leopard for $9.95 if you bought your computer after Oct. 1. I didnt buy my MacBook because Apple bought it (free). I put in the date I got the computer (August 28). Yes it rejected me, but then I put in Oct. 1st 2007 and it let me order it?? Should I go ahead?

At your own peril, sure. It'll likely get rejected when they verify orders.

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
Who said I was worried about spending $10?? All I was asking is why I can order Leopard if my computer doesn't qualify for the upgrade.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
Who said I was worried about spending $10?? All I was asking is why I can order Leopard if my computer doesn't qualify for the upgrade.

Well, the title of the thread is "What?? $9.95??". That kind of implies that you're questioning the cost of $9.95.

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
I have seen the Mail In Form....

If you "dick around" with the numbers enough you will be able to get it to "let you" order it I guess... However, if you go to the Mail IN Form (Download .pdf) you will see that it asks for Confirmed Purchase Date and Copy of Invoice... I would therefore assume that Apple is smart enough to figure out how to have us comply with the OCT. 1 date as shown... or MAYBE NOT!!?? Please advise after it is known to actually work :cool:

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
All I was asking is why I can order Leopard if my computer doesn't qualify for the upgrade.

Your computer doesn't qualify because you did not buy it after Oct. 1. You were given the machine as a replacement for a much older computer.

Retired
May 16, 2006

Apple can't keep tabs for instantaneous web-access to which exact product was sold on which exact date...they surely have databases for that somewhere, but only rough estimates can be used by the website. They may however check over it later...

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
I'd like to think that if I was given a brand new laptop as a replacement for a much older model (which they could have continued to repair, but choose to do the right thing), I wouldn't try and get something (10.5, $129) for almost nothing ($9.95) by trying to fake the 'purchase' date.

I'd like to think I'd be happy that I had brand new hardware running a great OS, and if I wanted to update, I'd just pay the price, like everyone else.

Or, if you prefer - if they had fixed your iBook, and it was running perfectly, do you still think you'd be entitled to a 9.95 upgrade to 10.5?

*shrugs shoulders*

I can understand wanting it, but you are outside of the purchase date that Apple set as the limit, and you didn't have to pay for the macbook to begin with...

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
On the UK site you put in the serial number of the computer, and Apple cross-reference that with their records as to when it left the store. You don't get asked for a sales receipt as far as I know.

cogsinister

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2006
Fredericton NB Canada
If you "dick around" with the numbers enough you will be able to get it to "let you" order it I guess... However, if you go to the Mail IN Form (Download .pdf) you will see that it asks for Confirmed Purchase Date and Copy of Invoice... I would therefore assume that Apple is smart enough to figure out how to have us comply with the OCT. 1 date as shown... or MAYBE NOT!!?? Please advise after it is known to actually work :cool:

So you have to mail something in !!!

DOH !!:eek:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I was following the other thread where people (and yes I did make some joke about it) were cheating the system. Proud of themselves for pre-ordering an item and cheating the system they came here to discuss it. Apple undoubtedly will figure out that computer sales from Oct. 1 appear to be very out of whack in comparison to the number of orders from people who claim their system was purchased on or after Oct. 1. This is very simple math that can be done by any 2 year old. I am going to venture to guess a handful of people will land this great deal by cheating the system but in the end Apple will figure out and cancel the orders. If Apple doesn't then I'd be very surprised and wish them well in the future of crappy analytics. :)

In other words to the OP you may get away with it but whether or not you should do it is a question of your own moral character not ours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.